kw kva

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.P.

Well............ Around here 320A, 240V is a large home service or a small business service.

As far as your projected load? Only you can answer that. All electric house. Shop full of 480V gear? Hobby as a mad scientist?

Look at your current electric bill. Do you foresee any changes in your needs? If not, just give them those numbers.

enireh

kw kva

no! not mad scientist so I just figure on what is to be in a typical 4,000 square foot home and calculate the load? so what is the equation for kw's and kva service is a 320 amp 240 volts single phase the engineer told me just figure whats to be in the home in the future so how do I come up with kw and kva?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
no! not mad scientist so I just figure on what is to be in a typical 4,000 square foot home and calculate the load? so what is the equation for kw's and kva service is a 320 amp 240 volts single phase the engineer told me just figure whats to be in the home in the future so how do I come up with kw and kva?

You will need to do a load calculation according to Article 220.
You can either do a standard calculation or the optional method. Usually you come out better using the optional method.

You answer will be in KW, so you would divide the KW by 240V

Example:
43,200 (43.2KW) / 240V = 180A

so you would need a service/equipment capable of handling 180A, which would be a 200A service.

enireh

kv kva

kv kva

You will need to do a load calculation according to Article 220.
You can either do a standard calculation or the optional method. Usually you come out better using the optional method.

You answer will be in KW, so you would divide the KW by 240V

Example:
43,200 (43.2KW) / 240V = 180A

so you would need a service/equipment capable of handling 180A, which would be a 200A service.
thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.