Ladder rack recommendation for inside van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

Well I don't link your second link 'cause they blasted audio at me without asking in my otherwise quiet house, lost my vote right there.

I think the general ideas are ok, in my utility van I have a 6' and an 8' step ladder supported from a piece of EMT, works very well.

480sparky

Whatever wonderful floor space you're going to free up with such a contraption will be painfully taken up with a commesurate loss of headroom.

nhfire77

Whatever wonderful floor space you're going to free up with such a contraption will be painfully taken up with a commesurate loss of headroom.

I agree 100%.

If you value the ability to hop in the back to get to stuff, you will not like it.

You would be better off getting an easier to use top of the van ladder rack. Like a hydraulically assisted one. I know they are $$$$, but its awesome
Having said that I don't own one, b/c I don't mind the climb up there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have an original Jet Rack, and it works flawlessly. I used shallow strut and lubed it with a spritz of white grease.

The Weather Guard one is a clone, except for the Jet Rack's sliding peg vs. the Weather Guard's flat sliding shelf.

If I was to get another one, I think I'd opt for the Weather Guard's version. I don't know anything about Adrian's.

Article 90.1

Thank you everyone. I bump my head all day long, so big deal if I do it a few more times in the van, hahaha. The top ladder rack is full, and it is a side load version, fwiw. Having the 6' ladder off of the floor will allow the floor to be free. Anything else on the floor will only be temporary, as in on its way to be delivered to a job. I'll post some pics. when I make a final decision and have the rack installed.

Again, thanks!

iwire

Staff member
I keep my six footer on the floor sideways behind the driver partition, it takes up little space and is not in the way of the shelving.

MisterCMK

I really like the original Jet Rack. The only problem I have is how to mount it to the ceiling of my truck. I have an alluminum ARE topper and I think I am going to move ot to mounting on the side car.

e57

I made my own out of some old parts of a roof rack that met a sprinkler in a garage....:roll:

It used to be just the two 'hooks/brackets' that I bolted to the roof support and a bungee cord - it held a 6' pretty well. The bottom of the ladder rode down a shelf - then just give it a twist up to the bracket and press it into the other one - and a short bungee to hold it secure...

I have since changed this as I do a bit of hobby carpentry, and other house destruction - I needed to carry 4x8' sheet goods, but my ladder rack on the roof and it's conduit carrier don't allow that....

So what I did was build/weld a rail across left to right at the front and back of the van 7' apart. One is a few inches from the driver partition - riding on top of a rat pack drawer. The other straddles my 4' knack box at the back. Then there is a rail off center between them. NONE of this impedes any shelf space or other storage and I can get 7-8 stack of 4x8 sheets INSIDE the van at the ceiling level. But also - I drilled a hole for a thumb-screw bolt to hold one of my old ladder brackets in the same position as my previous set up - but now I just slide the ladder down the rail on my 'interior' rack, and bungee it to the ceiling the same way.

e57

You would be better off getting an easier to use top of the van ladder rack. Like a hydraulically assisted one. I know they are $$$$, but its awesome
Having said that I don't own one, b/c I don't mind the climb up there.
The reason some of us - I'll speak for myself - want the ladder inside the van is... Weather, not for the sake of the ladder, but for the sake of the places we bring the ladder to... I once got stuck refinishing a floor due to water stains from my wet ladder in the morning. I live in heavy fog - so every morning - rain or not my roof top ladders are wet, and due to general humidity here my ladders would stay wet for a few hours in the morning.

Put the ladder inside - pull out a dry ladder - walk into customers dry house... And get to work right off.

JohnJ0906

The reason some of us - I'll speak for myself - want the ladder inside the van is... Weather, not for the sake of the ladder, but for the sake of the places we bring the ladder to... I once got stuck refinishing a floor due to water stains from my wet ladder in the morning. I live in heavy fog - so every morning - rain or not my roof top ladders are wet, and due to general humidity here my ladders would stay wet for a few hours in the morning.

Put the ladder inside - pull out a dry ladder - walk into customers dry house... And get to work right off.

Exactly. Around here, there is also snow and ice to deal with.

jrannis

I have a utility body van.
I took the ladder rack off of the roof and hung it inside (upside down) attached to the ceiling of the van.
I slide shovels, rakes, brooms and other stuff up there too.

Article 90.1

FYI. I just ordered the American Van version, the "Jet Rack." My local Adrian Steel dealer quoted me a price of ~$300 for their model. And the nearest weatherguard dealer is 2 hours away. The American Van model was under $100 with shipping, of course, I 'll have to provide the shallow strut!

I'll reply with pics. and likes/dislikes once delivered and installed. IMHO, a work truck, like a work of art, is "never finished."

electricmanscott

FYI. I just ordered the American Van version, the "Jet Rack." My local Adrian Steel dealer quoted me a price of ~$300 for their model. And the nearest weatherguard dealer is 2 hours away. The American Van model was under $100 with shipping, of course, I 'll have to provide the shallow strut!

I'll reply with pics. and likes/dislikes once delivered and installed. IMHO, a work truck, like a work of art, is "never finished."

I bet Weatherguard would have been the most expensive.

I buy from American Van when I have a need. Reasonable prices and good service.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Just don't forget to pick up one of these before you're done. :D

istockphoto_2555698-blank-football-helmet-isolated-on-white.jpg

In Western Washington everything outside is frequently wet. Having a dry ladder is just good customer service.

When I had my Service Van I just used 2 Heavy duty rubber Bungee cords.
The one up front was loose enough for me to get the top of the 6' ladder into it easily then I used a second bungee to hold it tight to the ceiling by the feet.

I am 6'3" so bumping my head is a constant issue anyway and have learned to always duck.

220/221

1. I use ladders WAY too often to keep them on the ceiling. Ladders are the easiest thing to access on my trucks.

2. A standard van is already lacking headroom when you have to crawl in to access things. Adding a ladder to that seems counter productive.

e57

I have a utility body van.
I took the ladder rack off of the roof and hung it inside (upside down) attached to the ceiling of the van.
I slide shovels, rakes, brooms and other stuff up there too.
I don't know what those things are - but assume the fit on your rack, but what are they, and what do they do????

1. I use ladders WAY too often to keep them on the ceiling. Ladders are the easiest thing to access on my trucks.

2. A standard van is already lacking headroom when you have to crawl in to access things. Adding a ladder to that seems counter productive.
I too use mine quite a bit too, but the 6 is the go-to indoor one, and dry - the rest are on the roof... I'm sure there are a lot of set-ups out there - but there is no reason for me to ever 'get inside' my van. My tool box at the back acts a shelf for other tool boxes, and the side door is for a two-wheeler, and everything there I can reach in for...

Status
Not open for further replies.