Humming from a lighting transformer....Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jango

I have a service call for a client that has a Q-Tran transformer (QTLS series)
1200W and it is humming/buzzing. I have installed many of these myself and I absolutely love the way they go together and operate. This is the first time I've encountered one that hums/buzzes. I have checked all connections of the Translite Sonoma track fixtures as well as the transformer itself. I also replaced the MR16 bulbs and I replaced the chokes/coils in the transformer. Any other suggestions??? Please help!:-?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I have a service call for a client that has a Q-Tran transformer (QTLS series)
1200W and it is humming/buzzing. I have installed many of these myself and I absolutely love the way they go together and operate. This is the first time I've encountered one that hums/buzzes. I have checked all connections of the Translite Sonoma track fixtures as well as the transformer itself. I also replaced the MR16 bulbs and I replaced the chokes/coils in the transformer. Any other suggestions??? Please help!:-?
Then it sounds like you are left with the primary/secondary windings and the core of the transformer itself. Call the Q-tran tech support line and explain what you've already done and you'll probably get a new transformer.

The laminations of the transformer core are likely the source of the hum.

a.bisnath

is the hum loud ?

is the hum loud ?

is the hum loud or quiet ?is is one sound or many? haved you done a temperature survey eith an infrared thermometer?is it step down or 1:1 ratio windings i have seen transformers humming quietly and work for more than 15 years is the load greater than 85% of full load?

Status
Not open for further replies.