no clamp bonding to water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwnut

Does this count as a bond to water service??
What is the chance you can drive a 5/8 ground rod and hit a 3/4 copper water line dead on??
darn good if your me:mad:

bmwnut

If you put enough silicone on the rod/pipe, you may be able to make it work at least as long as your warranty holds out. ;)

Sorry i fixed it today
is that what that GOOD black tape is for?
Funny it took six hours for them to Find the shut off at the street while the water pour in around the pipe in the basement. someone got some ot though.

Nium

Wow! That's a one in a million shot. Thanks for the picture I don't know if I'd believed it was possible if I hadn't seen it.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Seriously bad / good luck . . . I mean, what are the odds?

What did you use to drive the rod? Slide hammer, rotohammer, hammer? That is, unless it's too painful to tell.

petey_c

bmwnut, I too have to join the club. I was doing a service for a friend. I thought I'd hit a rock. My friend said that he'd get it in despite the rock. I figured, okay let's see. He comes back to me an hour or so later covered in sweat saying he'd gotten it. I went to look and it was down. After the job, I went to wash my hands and the water from the tap was black. I mentioned this to him and he said don't worry it happens from time to time. He found out the next day what had actually happened. It cost me $100.00 to have it fixed. He gave me the cut out section that I'll mount on a plaque.... petey

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does your "One Call" service include customer owned hardware?

You know, like the branch circuit to the from the house to the detached garage?
We use Miss Utility, which is free, and no, they don't. You can pay for locating privately-owned lines.

I've heard of someone driving a ground rod into primary wires. Not good
Not twice. :cool:

bmwnut, I too have to join the club. I was doing a service for a friend. I thought I'd hit a rock. My friend said that he'd get it in despite the rock. I figured, okay let's see. He comes back to me an hour or so later covered in sweat saying he'd gotten it. I went to look and it was down. After the job, I went to wash my hands and the water from the tap was black. I mentioned this to him and he said don't worry it happens from time to time. He found out the next day what had actually happened. It cost me $100.00 to have it fixed. He gave me the cut out section that I'll mount on a plaque.... petey

He busted it and you had to pay?

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
So. I'm not the only guy who calls Miss Utility before driving ground rods? Around here I get laughed at for the precaution.

Mark

RICK NAPIER

My brother just got out of the Navy and went to work for me when he did the same thing. I cut the rod and pipe mounted it to a plack with Queequeg written on the top and his reenlistment papers stapled to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.