Conduit Installation - 100 feet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Really??? In many runs there is no good reason to put a box or pull point every 100' and in many cases that would increase the likely hood of damage to the conductors when they are being installed.

I'd really like to see a mall parking lot done with j-boxes every 100 feet.:cool:

Really??? In many runs there is no good reason to put a box or pull point every 100' and in many cases that would increase the likely hood of damage to the conductors when they are being installed.

Sorry didn't mean to offend any one here, just makes it so much easier when pulling wire. When doing conduit for the last 15 years I just always have.

Common sense when installing J boxes, Yes parking lot lights No I would try to stay away from the practice, emt in a building most likely.

P.S. If the people are paying attention to what they are doing the conductors will not get damaged when pulling them, its inexperience, lazyness, and rushing that I feel causes those problems.

I couldn't tell you how many tens of thousands of feet of wire we just got done pulling and only had 1 GF and that was due to the stripping of the outside FA cable to get to the conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sorry didn't mean to offend any one here, just makes it so much easier when pulling wire. When doing conduit for the last 15 years I just always have.

Common sense when installing J boxes, Yes parking lot lights No I would try to stay away from the practice, emt in a building most likely.

P.S. If the people are paying attention to what they are doing the conductors will not get damaged when pulling them, its inexperience, lazyness, and rushing that I feel causes those problems.

I couldn't tell you how many tens of thousands of feet of wire we just got done pulling and only had 1 GF and that was due to the stripping of the outside FA cable to get to the conductors.

If you pull the conductors out at each box, you have increased the risk of conductor damage and increased the labor needed to pull the wire as well as the labor and material required to install the boxes. If you don't pull the wire out at each of the boxes, then there was no need to install them. Put them in where they are needed for the pull or maybe for possible future use, but otherwise forget them.

No offense taken, just a difference in opinion on the need for the boxes.

ohmhead

Well
f921d559.jpg
the big box on the left is a pull box per NEC art 300.19

NEC vertical raceways this is a 35 story building you kinda need a big box to support your conductors over 100 foot with wooden wedgees.

When you let it drop it flows down very fast copper is heavy we also use a box in some locations to control that speed with a brake sheave and a box is also important for that .

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good electricians do put a pull point every 100' and we all know why.

So if your out doing heavy industrial, and it's 500' from the JB to the fuel pad, you use 2 90's and a kick, and think that your best friend is something like Ingersol Rand at better than 185CFM.

Each job has it's own challenges, all depends on what your doing.

Merry Christmas!

icefalkon

I think Jmellc hit it on the head...

No there's no rule about it...but the average snake on the job is 100' long...

If you're LUCKY. Who knows how many times guys have cut a piece off just to make their life a little easier! Now your nice 1/4" wide by 100' snake is lucky if it hits 80' after a year or so.

One-eyed Jack

If you pull the conductors out at each box, you have increased the risk of conductor damage and increased the labor needed to pull the wire as well as the labor and material required to install the boxes. If you don't pull the wire out at each of the boxes, then there was no need to install them. Put them in where they are needed for the pull or maybe for possible future use, but otherwise forget them.

No offense taken, just a difference in opinion on the need for the boxes.

I agree 110%. If it ain't broke don't fix it. 1000 ft run to an irrigation pivot point 10 j-box in the ground in the middle of a field ????? Don't think so. The concept was based on the 100 fish tape.

ohmhead

Well i guess we all do lots of different types of electrical projects our scope of work is 1 1/4 inch conduit and larger so we never use a fish tape we always vaccum in a line and pull a small rope in with the polyline string then we pull in a bigger rope and in some cases we pull in a real big rope like 1 1/4 dia double braid nylon .

But that said we have on many jobs run 500 foot to 1000 foot with no pull box and these were paralleled feeders .

The specs on some jobs do state that on runs over 150 foot we need a box why i dont know ?

Ask a engineer ?

When we do a power plant by example there are lots of cables not much regular standard wire like thhn or such its all cables for just about everything .
They can not be spliced from point of start to point of termination so when you pull these thur conduits or a tray via conduit you kinda have a JB at different locations you measure each cable length before you pull cut them to length and then roll them up on a bigg spool tag them and spend hours pulling from one point to the next to accomadate the no splice rule .

Status
Not open for further replies.