Heat Tape EPD Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Does the NEC require an EPD rated circuit breaker for exterior roof heat tape? If so where would I find that in the NEC?

kwired

Electron manager
Does the NEC require an EPD rated circuit breaker for exterior roof heat tape? If so where would I find that in the NEC?

What is the heat tape used for?

There is GFP requirements for Fixed Outdoor Electric Deicing and Snow-Melting Equipment art 426 as well as requirements in 427 for Fixed Electric Heating Equipment for Pipelines and Vessels.

Some controllers for those kinds of equipment may already provide the protection - so keep that in mind as well.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The NEC requires ground fault protection. The NEC allows said protection to be at the GFPE level instead of the GFCI level. The NEC won't come right out and say that. Art. 100 definitions and art. 426.28 are the easiest way to get there. A little bit of 210.8 might apply.

laketime

Thank you. We have used EPD breakers before for this but I could not find anything in the NEC specifically calling for it. The cost jump from GFCI to EPD is huge.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Don't forget to check the heat trace manufacturers specs as well, they may require it. Then of course, that is enforceable by the NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you. We have used EPD breakers before for this but I could not find anything in the NEC specifically calling for it. The cost jump from GFCI to EPD is huge.
Nothing wrong with GFCI protection - just may have more nuisance tripping. Also take a look at what the cable manufacturer may have for protective devices.

Steve Merrick

Lockable Disconnecting Means

Lockable Disconnecting Means

Don't forget the new requirement that the EPD breaker or other disconnecting means be capable of being locked in the open position (426.50). Article 110.25 requires the lockable disconnecting means to "remain in place with or without the lock installed."

Status
Not open for further replies.