combining and extending egc's in electric panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
For years, when replacing a panel, I have spliced too short egc's together and extended them to the ground bar using largest size conductor. An inspector objected to this today. I see no prohibition in code. Any thoughts?

pete m.

For years, when replacing a panel, I have spliced too short egc's together and extended them to the ground bar using largest size conductor. An inspector objected to this today. I see no prohibition in code. Any thoughts?

Ask the inspector for the code section.

Pete

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

He may be confusing the prohibition on reversible splices or connections on a Ground Electrode Conductor (GEC). If you are replacing a main panel you will have to make sure that either the GEC fits or that you use an irreversible compression spice to extend it. (Not likely you would want to use Cadweld for this purpose. :))

JFletcher

Are you combined grounds of different circuits then bringing them down to the ground buss via one wire? wag, but if so, tho I dont have a code section, I'm thinking if said hypothetical connection fails it would leave multiple circuits ungrounded, or he's objecting to the wire size of the pigtailed grounding wire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know of no prohibition for this in the NEC, as Dave mentioned it's no different than running one EGC in a raceway to be connected to multiple branch circuits. Also as previously stated ask for a code section.

Status
Not open for further replies.