Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct Smoke Detector Requirements

Duct Smoke Detector Requirements

I have been asked (it’s a continuing education thing that my company is encouraging us to pursue) to learn more about fire detection and alarm systems, and to pass on what I learn to the rest of the group. Not an evil pursuit, I suppose, since fire alarm stuff is not a strong suit of mine, and I could stand some “learnin” on this subject. The specific question I am pursuing at the moment is, “When is fire detection (i.e., duct smoke detectors) required for mechanical equipment.”

Can anyone offer suggestions on information sources?
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

it is in the mechanical code adopted in the particular jurisdiction. Such as imc or NFPA 90
    Ron

I know they are required, we have them all over campus and they integrated with the fan motors, fire alarm, and gas valves. I am thinking NFPA 90. I will check with the controls guy and fire alarm guy after lunch.

I type too slow, Ron already replied with NFPA 90.

I could not find any reference in NFPA 72 2007 edition for requierments, only installation details of how they are installed. Could be a State Building Code that has the info when they are needed in HVAC systems. I think any air handler unit, HVAC systems with 15,000 cfm or larger will require a duct smoke detector. That's how I have been designing. Ask your Mechanical dept Chief for the requierment, he should have info on BOCA, IBC, etc.

- JWC

Quote Originally Posted by JWCELECTRIC View Post
    I could not find any reference in NFPA 72 2007 edition for requierments, only installation details of how they are installed. Could be a State Building Code that has the info when they are needed in HVAC systems. I think any air handler unit, HVAC systems with 15,000 cfm or larger will require a duct smoke detector. That's how I have been designing. Ask your Mechanical dept Chief for the requierment, he should have info on BOCA, IBC, etc.

- JWC
    Well which codes are in effect in your jurisdiction? If it's the IMC, see section 606; anything over 2,000CFM the detector is on the return side. If you have NFPA 90 anything over 2,000 CFM the detector is on the supply side. You got both? Congratulation! Two detectors!

Well the guys at work were no help. They only know its somewhere in NFPA 90. They said I should ask the engineer. LOL. Did I ever mention a lot of the guys I work with are bloody drones.

Anyways, I did find 6.4.2.1 in NFPA 90 2009 as a place to start. It shows the 15,000 cfm and 2000 cfm rules stated above.

Sorry I could not come up with anything useful.

duct detectors

I vote for the International Mechanical Code, Section 606

Quote Originally Posted by raberding View Post
    I vote for the International Mechanical Code, Section 606
    Yeah, but I cannot look at that online for free like NFPA 90.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Yeah, but I can, and I am. :grin: My company has a subscription. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Why not?
    http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/index.htm
    Ron