signage on outdoor equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Looking for input on what to specify for signage associated with outdoor gear. My immediate concern happens to be pad mounted gear in a new substation we just did. I want to specify something that will last the life of the gear.

I realize that probably more key here, is how one affixes the signage. I'm afraid if I ask them to use screws, the holes will rust.

Appreciate your help.

Mike

JoeStillman

It depends on what kind of sign. For laminated plastic nameplates, I always specify screws because double-sticky tape will dry up and the sign fall off. I'd rather see a rust streak than a missing safety sign.

For arc-flash labels, the thermally printed vinyl type are guaranteed for 15 years outside. If the gear is door-in-door, stick them on the inside door.

What kind of signs did you have in mind?

Carultch

For laminated plastic nameplates, I always specify screws because double-sticky tape will dry up and the sign fall off. I'd rather see a rust streak than a missing safety sign.

Why not specify stainless screws or rivets?

As for field-installing of label fasteners, that would require making holes in the enclosure. With the exception of listed sealing conduit fittings, I'm not sure that it is permissible for you to make your own holes in the enclosure, without voiding the UL and NEMA rating. Even if you do use the appropriate gaskets/sealing washers, which you might think physically should be sufficient for keeping it waterproof.

JoeStillman

Why not specify stainless screws or rivets?

I would, but you'll still expose the door-steel to a little corrosion.

As for field-installing of label fasteners, that would require making holes in the enclosure. With the exception of listed sealing conduit fittings, I'm not sure that it is permissible for you to make your own holes in the enclosure, without voiding the UL and NEMA rating. Even if you do use the appropriate gaskets/sealing washers, which you might think physically should be sufficient for keeping it waterproof.

I think this is getting a little too carried away with UL ratings, but I'm not an inspector. For laminated plastic nameplates, you can specify that they come from the factory blank, then engrave them with your own text. Easy to do if they're only screwed on. I've also seen shop drawings where they request what to engrave.

mgookin

Looking for input on what to specify for signage associated with outdoor gear. My immediate concern happens to be pad mounted gear in a new substation we just did. I want to specify something that will last the life of the gear.

I realize that probably more key here, is how one affixes the signage. I'm afraid if I ask them to use screws, the holes will rust.

Appreciate your help.

Mike

Maybe contact these guys and see what they say: http://www.lemproductsinc.com/how-we-work/utility-marking-products/substation-signage/

They claim to meet NESC requirements. That implies there are prescriptive requirements somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.