Engineer Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

I have a set of drawing but the service lateral, size wire, to the 200a 240 1ph meter loop isnt available. The service loop is located 450 plus
ft away from Service pole. Is the engineer who provide drawing responsible for correct size wire? I the contractor responsible for that portion usually Also is the contractor responsible for providing Arc fault analysis for equipment at service if engineer drawings are available?? Any information is appreciated

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is not going to be the same answer everywhere and every time. It is a matter of contracting, not of NEC compliance.

If I were designing this system, I would have provided the wire size and the arc flash (not arc fault) calculation. But then, I would have included those tasks in my proposal, and I would have gotten paid to do them. What we don't know, and what you probably don't know either, is what the engineer's contract called upon him (or her) to perform. I suggest that you formally present the question to the group who is paying for your work. Submit an RFI, or other document, to ask whether you are expected to perform those tasks, and be prepared to give a price if the answer is yes.

MBLES

This is not going to be the same answer everywhere and every time. It is a matter of contracting, not of NEC compliance.

If I were designing this system, I would have provided the wire size and the arc flash (not arc fault) calculation. But then, I would have included those tasks in my proposal, and I would have gotten paid to do them. What we don't know, and what you probably don't know either, is what the engineer's contract called upon him (or her) to perform. I suggest that you formally present the question to the group who is paying for your work. Submit an RFI, or other document, to ask whether you are expected to perform those tasks, and be prepared to give a price if the answer is yes.

i understand and you bring up some good points... on the Arch Flash, not fault, i find most contractors dont want to submit that part on their own. They say it needs to be performed by engineer not EC contractor because they are not designers or engineers. i think it has something to do with insurance not allowing most EC not to design. Thanks for info.

Status
Not open for further replies.