High & Low voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyh

Can I run 277 volt ckts & 120 volt ckts in seperate conduits, but then they terminate in one 12x12 junction box for lighting and power purposes.

Is that legal?? per NEC 2008? I thought as long as the insulations of all wires is 600 volts or less it's ok??

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Can I run 277 volt ckts & 120 volt ckts in seperate conduits, but then they terminate in one 12x12 junction box for lighting and power purposes.

Is that legal?? per NEC 2008? I thought as long as the insulations of all wires is 600 volts or less it's ok??
Welcome to the forum.

In general, you can even have them inside the same conduit, legally.

480sparky

300.3(C) Conductors of Different Systems.
(1) 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of ac and dc circuits, rated 600 volts, nominal, or less, shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway.

Given that most building wire insulation is rated 600V, you're golden.

277 120 same box

277 120 same box

i dont recall any thing exact from the code about 120 and 277 in the same box. but i would have the different circuts from two panels in two different boxes good rule of thumb personal preference. either way it should not hurt as long as the insulation rating on each conductor is higher than the highest voltage used.

tommyh

277 volts & 120 volts in the same junction box (without barrier)

277 volts & 120 volts in the same junction box (without barrier)

Question: Can I run 277 volt ckts & 120 volt ckts in seperate conduits, but then they terminate in one 12x12 junction box for lighting and power purposes.

RE: Now someone told me that if you have say, one conduit with (600 volt rated wires) @ 277 volts in a juntion box and another conduit with (600 volt rated wires) @ 120 volts in that "same" junction box:

He said that if between the two voltages it reads over 300 volts it's illegal???
So a 277 volt leg metered to 120 volt leg (in that same junction box)
= 397 volts (over 300 volts)

Where is that in the new 2008 NEC, or is he wrong?? Need help!

nakulak

next time someone tells you something like that, ask them to help you find it in the codebook.

I don't believe there is any such code. There is an article 4o4.8 B which applies to 300volts between two adjacent switches in the same box, and I think maybe your friend has confused this with junction boxes.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
He is wrong about them occupying the same box it is legal, if you have two devices fed from the two different systems in the same box they must be separated by a barrier.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as long as you comply with 300.3(C), 200.6(D) and 210.5(C), there is no probloem with them sharing the same j box.
as mentioned, your fried is probably thinking of 404.8(B)

nyhockey

Not in NYC 300.3(C)(1) Exception No.2
Barriers shall be provided to isolate conductors energized from different sources when systems voltage exceeds 250 volts :cool:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not in NYC 300.3(C)(1) Exception No.2
Barriers shall be provided to isolate conductors energized from different sources when systems voltage exceeds 250 volts :cool:

What's their reasoning?

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He is wrong about them occupying the same box it is legal, if you have two devices fed from the two different systems in the same box they must be separated by a barrier.

Roger

Roger,

Care to explain what you mean by two different systems? 208/120 vs. 277/480?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger,

Care to explain what you mean by two different systems? 208/120 vs. 277/480?

Rob, that is what I was refering to.

voltagebarrier.jpg

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob, that is what I was refering to.

voltagebarrier.jpg

Roger

If I remember correctly there is a phase arrangement (with the graphic that you've shown) where you could end up with less than 300 volts between the devices and therefore a barrier wouldn't be required.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If I remember correctly there is a phase arrangement (with the graphic that you've shown) where you could end up with less than 300 volts between the devices and therefore a barrier wouldn't be required.

You are correct, it would depend on which phases of the high and low sides are present. The wording in the illustration below would seem to be taking this into considertion.

1008709181_2.gif

Roger

You are correct, it would depend on which phases of the high and low sides are present. The wording in the illustration below would seem to be taking this into considertion.

1008709181_2.gif

Roger

But just from electrical theory, if the this is comming from a different source, you would not read 381 volts between the 2 systems right?? Like current returning to a different sourch. And no, Im not trying to start 'that' thread again :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But just from electrical theory, if the this is comming from a different source, you would not read 381 volts between the 2 systems right?? Like current returning to a different sourch. And no, Im not trying to start 'that' thread again :)

You would need to test between the two devices to know for sure. I do believe that there is a phase arrangement that would give you less than 300 volts between a 277 volt switch and a 120 volt receptacle.

iwire

Staff member

The separate systems are all connected to ground so yes you can measure voltage between them.

Depending on which phases you where reading between you could measure 380.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Brother, yes you read these numbers. The next time you have a 480 - 208y/120 v transformer open read all the combinations.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.