Crossing T's Dotting I's on Subpanel Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztardivo

Hello all,

I have came across this forum multiple times through Google searches when planning out my subpanel install to my detached shed. I figured I would register an account and ask you all fine people for some answers to questions specific to my install.

Shed is a 20x30 foot, and will have some LED lighting, air compressor, table saw, and some other 220v wood working tools installed.

Main Panel in house is 200 amp, this is an all electrical house in VA with electric water heater, heat pump, AC, electric washer/dryer etc. I do have room for one more double breaker for the install.

Original plan was to install a 60 or 75 amp double breaker in the main panel. However, i do also have an outside shutoff panel right next to my electrical meter. I assume this is due to the distance between meter and Main panel? Could i possibly use this as the point at running my wiring to my subpanel in the shed 200' away? As of now there is only one switch that shuts off my main panel in the house which also has its own shutoff for the panel, but i assume this box could be upgraded. Why do i have this outside breaker to begin with? Could it be to shut off service to the house without entering?

The shed will have some water ran to it at some point with PEX in conduit, and also have CAT5e in a seperate conduit. I assume this means i need to run three runs of #3 awg thwn2 wire, and a #4/6 awg bare copper to the subpanel. Disconnecting the neutral and ground at subpanel with a grounding rod installed.

The location of this outdoor breaker is a perfect location to run conduit to my shed. Would love to install a 60 or 75 amp service to the shed with a 100 amp subpanel. If this is used, is there spots to run 3 wires and ground off this outdoor shutoff?

The wiring I believe I have settled on is #3 awg THWN-2 wire in a 2" schedule 40/80 conduit. Found some at .67c a foot. Using some load calculators i believe this keeps me under the 5% acceptable drop at 200'

Basically should i use/upgrade the outside shutoff for connection to the shed. Or should i run the wire into the main panel in the house.

Help/comments/suggestions are welcomed. thanks for the help thus far!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.