Interesting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I saw this question on the internet and could not think of a prohibition but do not think it can be done per the GFCI requirement.

Any ideas?

"Can a kitchen counter electrical outlet be split to receive power from seperate breakers? I live in On.Canada.?"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes, it can but you would need to get a GFCI protection for both receptacles and you would need a dp breaker. The neutrals and the hot conductors can be split on the receptacle itself. You would also need a 20 amp receptacle.

They make a dp gfci breaker.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not sure how the RCMP feel about it, but it's legal under the NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What art. would that be under ?

I am basing this on it being a single receptacle for each part of the duplex. Art. 210.21(B)(1)

210.21 Outlet Devices.
Outlet devices shall have an ampere rating that is not less than the load to be served and shall comply with 210.21(A) and (B).

(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.
Exception No. 1: A receptacle installed in accordance with 430.81(B).
Exception No. 2: A receptacle installed exclusively for the use of a cord-and-plug-connected arc welder shall be permitted to have an ampere rating not less than the minimum branch-circuit conductor ampacity determined by 630.11(A) for arc welders.
FPN: See the definition of receptacle in Article 100.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am basing this on it being a single receptacle for each part of the duplex. Art. 210.21(B)(1)
And what, within the context of the original question, would prohibit you from using one or both of the circuits to serve other receptacles, in addition to each circuit supplying one half of the duplex?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
And what, within the context of the original question, would prohibit you from using one or both of the circuits to serve other receptacles, in addition to each circuit supplying one half of the duplex?

That would be permissible and, IMO, 15 amp duplex outlets could then be employeed.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

As long as each terminal screw accepted two conductors, nothing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Sure it's allowed any place but the kitchen counter!

It would but be allowed, a 15 amp Recp. based on the OP orginal question with was a kitchen counter.

why would it not be allowed on the kitchen counter ?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Not necessary. The split receptacle could be the last one in the line.
You could use them up the line as well.

Yup, that too. You and I are in agreement here. I just hadn't considered the "up the line" scenario.

So unless the split receptacle is the ONLY receptacle on one or both of the circuits, it doesn't need to be a 20 amp receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Charlie you know the answer and you know that I know the answer. :) My thinking was based on the singular use of the word receptacle. My statement about the 20 amp was basically a reminder of the art. in 210 that would prohibit a 15 amp recep. if it was the only recep. on the circuit.

Of course the scenario changes with other receptacles on the circuit.

cadpoint

why would it not be allowed on the kitchen counter ?

Sorry, my little narrow mindset a kitchen of only 20 amp circiuts and a sprinlking of area protection from what a GFCI provides...

Frankly I think I'd curse and make the orginal installer ears ring, to make
something so simple so complex, It'd be OK, here we go... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.