Auditorium aisle lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roglthm

Are aisle lights required in a college performance theater, which is also used for lectures? Obviously it is a place of public assembly. The lighting techs want to be able to control them and turn them off during performances and lectures. My first thought is that is asking for legal trouble if they are turned off completely and someone falls. I cannot find where they are required at all. Are they? And what type of control is, or, is not permitted? And please - where and in what code can I find this info.

Roglthm

Follow up to post

Follow up to post

The aisle lights in question are not on the emergency panel. Several overhead house lights are on the emergency panel, which provide the required egress footcandles.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I've not researched the issue, but I've always believed there to be no illumination required during non-emergency conditions.

It's common in a lot of auditoria for most or all of aisle lights to be on a dimmer. Some may be on during shows but at a reduced brightness, but even those are probably turned off to save energy when the facility isn't in use. (Older halls may even switch off the exit signs when unoccupied.)

. My first thought is that is asking for legal trouble if they are turned off completely and someone falls.

Maybe, but that's not your concern (IMHO). You provide the lights, they make sure they're on.

This is a building code question and very likely has local "custom and practice".

mgookin

Here's what we have in Florida, the basis of which is the IBC. Not sure where OP is or what code he uses. Take particular note of the exception.

Attachments

• means of egress illumination assembly during show.JPG
    means of egress illumination assembly during show.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 11

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I just noticed the thread title errantly used lightning and got a chuckle out of it. Thanks for the unintended humor. :D

Roglthm

Answer found

Answer found

After additional research, the answer is YES - aisle lighting is required.

Florida Fire Prevention Code and NFPA 101 (2012) Section 7.8.1.3 (3) ... In assembly occupancies, the illumination of the walking surface of exit access shall be at least a minimum 0.2 ft-candles (2.2 lux) during periods of performances or projections involving direct light.

Thank you for you input.

And yes - lighting, not lightning.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And yes - lighting, not lightning.
FWIW, I wasn't being derogatory about misspelling lighting. I got a chuckle out of thinking controllable lightning bolts in the aisle way for any one that interrupted a performance or lecture...
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.