Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GFCI Protection of Garbage Disposal Receptacle

GFCI Protection of Garbage Disposal Receptacle

In a commercial breakroom which does not meet the definition of a kitchen, what is the consensus on whether a NEMA 5-20R receptacle installed under a sink to serve a garbage disposal requires GFCI protection? Is the area in the base cabinet under a sink considered to be "within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink"?
    Jason Rohe, P.E.

Yes, the garbage disposal receptacle would be within 6' of the edge of the sink IMHO, and would require GFCI protection under the 2008 NEC in accordance with 210.8(B)(5).

Chris

If you plugged in a hair dryer with a six foot cord in that outlet, could you drop it in the sink? :grin:

Under 2008 I would agree with Chris, bu under 05' the 6' rule does not apply to "other than dwelling units"

GFCI-Disposer

Quote Originally Posted by jrohe View Post
    In a commercial breakroom which does not meet the definition of a kitchen, what is the consensus on whether a NEMA 5-20R receptacle installed under a sink to serve a garbage disposal requires GFCI protection? Is the area in the base cabinet under a sink considered to be "within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink"?
    Be aware that commercial disposers 230V rated do not require a GFCI.
    rbj, Seattle...Safety is a Professional Courtesy.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_WW View Post
    If you plugged in a hair dryer with a six foot cord in that outlet, could you drop it in the sink? :grin:
    Someone that would wait until their hair was in the sink to dry it probably could.

I was going to put a smiley there, then realized that there are people out there that would do something like that.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by jrohe View Post
    I would say if the base cabinets have doors on them, separating "the path of string" from the receptacle and the sink, then no GFCI is required.

Quote Originally Posted by davidaengelhart View Post
    I would say if the base cabinets have doors on them, separating "the path of string" from the receptacle and the sink, then no GFCI is required.
    I would tend to agree but as cheap as GFI recepts are, I'd put one in to be sure.
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

Sorry, but I gotta disagree. The code simply says 6' from a sink. IMO that means the AHJ can say it has to be GFCI.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

Tell us more about this 'path of string' theory.