carlon PVC adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Anyone have problems with Carlon male adapters and metal lock rings (T&B Steel City I think)being incompatible? I have some Carlon 4" PVC male adapters and some steel lock rings (low profile -EMT) that don't work together. The lock ring threads on loosely then just pops off when trying to tighten it down.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, that's a common problem. Now when I grab MA's, I'll screw on locknuts at the same time. I HATE getting to the jobsite and finding that out.:mad:

My other gripe is MA's with not enough threads. There's one brand(probably Carlon or Cantex) that when you pop them into a pvc j-box there's enough thread for the locknut but not the pb. That's just stupid.:roll: The box and the MA are probably both made by the same manufacturer and they still can't get it right.:mad:

ty

Yes, that's a common problem. Now when I grab MA's, I'll screw on locknuts at the same time. I HATE getting to the jobsite and finding that out.:mad:

My other gripe is MA's with not enough threads. There's one brand(probably Carlon or Cantex) that when you pop them into a pvc j-box there's enough thread for the locknut but not the pb. That's just stupid.:roll: The box and the MA are probably both made by the same manufacturer and they still can't get it right.:mad:

We usually have the same issue.
Here is a recent one using 2" pvc that worked fine. I believe the MA's were Cantex.
IMG00830.jpg

hunt4679

Some areas around here require plastic straps even when taking a service 30' up a pole! The straps always break. Some inspector said it has to do with expansion and contraction of the pvc and others say metal straps are not rated for use with pvc. I use metal whenever I can they dont break when they get cold!!!

ty

I thought a 2" hw standoff was listed for pvc? Anyone?

What code requires it to be listed in the first place?

I just got off the phone with the factory rep at Victor.
There hangers are made for Rigid conduit. Metal or plastic.
He said that he has to write a letter once or twice a year to some 'make up his own code' inspector to set him straight.

I could see running a piece of PVC along some uni strut. Strapping it with plastic straps and spring nuts. *Roll Eyes*

raider1

Staff member
There is nothing in 352.30 that requires the supports to be plastic.

You do have to provide for thermal expansion or contraction but it does not require that the supports be plastic.

Chris

ty

I believe he uses 352.30.

We just make sure to use a plastic strap in his area.

Yup, they will break.

There is no way that the strap in the photo does not meet the criteria of that code reference.
IF (IF) someone overtightens a metal hanger, it possibly could limit some movement, maybe. But it will not stop PVC from moving.

The PVC straps are not even UV rated.
They will and do fail way before they should, leaving the conduit in worse shape than if a metal hanger was used.

So, how do you support PVC to unistrut????

Status
Not open for further replies.