60 amp Sub Feed panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinZip

Lets say we have a sub panel mounted on a back board aprox 4 feet off a residence used for some lighting load an motors an some other small equipment - 60 amp 4 wire sub feed from main panel to this sub panel that's 125 amp rated.

breakers installed 1- 30 two pole 3 - 15 amp single pole 1 - 20 amp single pole

Question is would this sub panel need a main breaker an ground rod , isn't it the intent of the code to have not only branch circuits disconnected in that panel but also the bus for safety reasons, for as long as I can remember that is what we have done in the past.

Also would the [ the 6 disconnect rule ] apply in this case , personally I think this needs a main breaker and ground rod.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is a "structure," per the definition of that term. Article 225 applies. Yes, you need a disconnecting means, and yes you can use the 6-breaker rule. Finally, yes you need a ground rod.

chris1971

Is this a correct statement? If a sub panel is installed in a residence (same building as the service) with more than 6 branch circuits then, does the sub panel need a main breaker?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is this a correct statement? If a sub panel is installed in a residence (same building as the service) with more than 6 branch circuits then, does the sub panel need a main breaker?
Chris, a sub panel in the same building as the main panel would not need a main with over 6 breakers. We are talking about a sub panel that is not attached to the building but out on a pole in the yard-- at least that is my understanding of the OP's quest.

There you would need ground rod(s) and a main disconnect if over 6 breakers are in the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.