Color Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

I had to add some circ. in a communication building that we did not own but had space in it for our equipment. They told me to use the middle panel on the trough and I must pull red wire for the ungrounded conductor:confused:. When I got there they had 3 panels in a trough 120/208. The first panel was marked black panel, 2nd was marked red panel and the 3ed was the blue panel. Sure enough the branch circ. that originated from each panel were color coded to match the panel. And they did not want to upset the color scheme.

bpk

I have never been called by any inspector on 3 or 4 ways (I usually use purple for travelers) its just something that I didnt know if a exception in the code exists to be able to use other color that whats identified at the panel. Im sure this code article is broken many times a day especially when you use mc cable that only has black / red / white, you would have to be sure it was only on those phases that are identified as that color, because you cant reidentify with color tape until its over 6awg (right ?). Our inspectors in my area are very good and have never said anything, its just something that I have been curious about.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
probably never will be "called".... I'm so happy when 210.5 is even addressed I don't even think about travlers.
Actually I can't recall a job where the E/C went so far as to follow 210.5 on MC branchs.

jsharvey

210-5

210-5

probably never will be "called".... I'm so happy when 210.5 is even addressed I don't even think about travlers.
Actually I can't recall a job where the E/C went so far as to follow 210.5 on MC branchs.
I started with my new employer before the city started enforcing it but at all of the CEU classes that have been put on since we adopted NEC2008, the inspectors have been telling us that if we use R/Bk/Bl for our ungrounded conductors that we have to use the same colors for travellers that are on those circuits. Seems to me that adds confusion to some bigger pipe jobs where we use to run some off the wall color for our switch legs and travellers.

480sparky

I started with my new employer before the city started enforcing it but at all of the CEU classes that have been put on since we adopted NEC2008, the inspectors have been telling us that if we use R/Bk/Bl for our ungrounded conductors that we have to use the same colors for travellers that are on those circuits. Seems to me that adds confusion to some bigger pipe jobs where we use to run some off the wall color for our switch legs and travellers.

It all depends on if you have different systems in the building. If you have only one, then you can use whatever colors you like.

210.5(C) Ungrounded Conductors. Where the premises wiring system has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit shall be identified by phase or line and system at all termination, connection, and splice points. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means. The method utilized for conductors originating within each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

jsharvey

It all depends on if you have different systems in the building. If you have only one, then you can use whatever colors you like.

Thats the way I read it also but, isn't the way it's being enforced. The guy I used to work for had a rough almost fail because I had run pink travellers and purple switch legs. I was like "huh?". If the permit had been pulled two weeks later we would have been under 2008 but squeaked by on 2005.

geovan

the inspectors have been telling us that if we use R/Bk/Bl for our ungrounded conductors that we have to use the same colors for travellers that are on those circuits.
Jsharvey, has anyone asked the Inspector to show in writing the local code pertaining to this? There are alot of " I prefer to see it that way" codes out there.

kbsparky

There are some local jurisdictions that are anal about this, and actually specify their color schemes in addendums to the Code. If the OP was within the boundaries of one of those places, the local inspector-critter may be proved to be correct ... if you can call it that ... :mad:

hunt4679

Never trust the color to identify the conductor.

Mixed139.jpg
I have run into alot of green ungrounded conductors in older plants. It must of been a thing back in early 70s!! The inhouse guys make all conductors green to ensure job security?

bpk

But lets say that you do have different voltage services in a building and are required to mark your color code at the services and subpanels. If you have phase A designated as black all phase A current carrying conductors must then be black on that system right ? So if you install a row of lights with a 3-way switch the travelers and the common are all technically souppose to be black. Or if phase C is designated as blue you wouldnt be able to use mc cable smaller than #6 on that phase unless it had a blue conductor.

raider1

Staff member
Or if phase C is designated as blue you wouldnt be able to use mc cable smaller than #6 on that phase unless it had a blue conductor.

You could phase tape it blue. There is nothing in the NEC the prohibits phase taping an individual conductor smaller than #4 provided that the wire itself is not white or green.

Also 210.5(C) does not limit you to only using colored wires to identify your systems and phases.

You could use a tag or other means to identify your travellers and phase tape or continuous colored wire for your standard ungrounded conductors.

What ever you choose to use to identify your systems must be documented and made readily available or posted at each panel board.

Chris

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
It all depends on where you work; if you work in power houses the color could be B/W/R, or green, all black.
Power Cos. don't follow the code all the time.
A bit off topic, but I see where the code is getting to the point where we must do our work so anyone can come back and work in the Electrical field with little or no training; ie. $0.50per/hr. Now just a job not a craft.
Of course it is happening to all crafts, my Doctor told me he has to leave a diagram in me in case I get work done by the guy that works out of his station wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.