customer wants my SSN# so he can 10-99 me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I already did the work last year. I get a call this year saying he needs my SSN#. He owns his own Property management co. I think he should have told me, and got that info before the job. So should I give him my SSN#, or tell him to go fly a kite.:grin: Thanks for your help.

jwjrw

I already did the work last year. I get a call this year saying he needs my SSN#. He owns his own Property management co. I think he should have told me, and got that info before the job. So should I give him my SSN#, or tell him to go fly a kite.:grin: Thanks for your help.

You would think he would of remembered that he owns his own property management co wouldnt you:D? Id probally give it to him, that is if I payed taxes on it that is:D Would he use you again if you didnt? Would you care?

cadpoint

Where exactly did you work for him, his personal property, or his rental and what was the dollor value on service provided?

Over 500.00 (last I knew)your on the hook to the IRS, charge accordingly..

gar

Occupation
EE
0100127-1350 EST

Zappy:

The IRS requires businesses to file 1099 forms on payments to individuals that are not employees. Employees are covered by the W-2 or something else. This is so the IRS can track money flow, and verify that your are including this received money as income.

Do you have a business ID number from the IRS. If so this is what you use instead of the social security number. The federal ID number may also be the state ID for state taxes.

zappy

Where exactly did you work for him, his personal property, or his rental and what was the dollor value on service provided?

Over 500.00 (last I knew)your on the hook to the IRS, charge accordingly..

It was a rental. It was $1000 something. I never had a customer do this before. I pay all my taxes, and would include this too anyway. So what's the point of me giving him this info? Will I pay something extra if I give him this info?

cadpoint

This is why you should have or get a Federal Employer ID #. It's easy to file online. Keep your SS# as private as possible.

Last I checked (Aug) it was $600 for a 1099.

Some sites will show the pad lock in the bottom window of the page another indication that your on a secure site is the https:// in the browser input.

Thanks for the heads up, it's been awhile since being on that side of the tax roll.

wireguru

i would think your invoice should suffice to allow him to write the expense off. He was paying you for a service or materials, equipment, etc -not just labor.

Either way, never give your SS to a customer. Get a EIN.

cadpoint

We got a live one, ............... It's business Babe.

One of the minor joys of ownership, his and yours...:grin:

Yeap the sadder thought after all your hard work, your his tax decuction... O freedrom Ring!

cdslotz

I have never heard of getting a 1099 for services rendered that includes materials and labor.
He can expense your work with the invoice.
I would tell him to pound sand

Bernard1599

I have never heard of getting a 1099 for services rendered that includes materials and labor.
He can expense your work with the invoice.
I would tell him to pound sand

Condominium HOAs and property management companies are required by law to send out 1099 to all contractors performing work on common areas.

Bernard

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
When I was operating as a non-corporate proprietorship I used to get 1099s from a number on my customers. As a corporation, I did not.
Here is what the IRS gives as a guide for issuing 1099s:

Payments for services performed for a trade or business by people not treated as its employees. Example: fees to subcontractors or directors, and golden parachute payments.
$600 or more

zappy

0100127-1350 EST

Zappy:

The IRS requires businesses to file 1099 forms on payments to individuals that are not employees. Employees are covered by the W-2 or something else. This is so the IRS can track money flow, and verify that your are including this received money as income.

Do you have a business ID number from the IRS. If so this is what you use instead of the social security number. The federal ID number may also be the state ID for state taxes.

I don't have a ID#. I wasn't required to being a sole perpriator. So don't give him my SS#. And really as long as I claim it as income who cares about him right?

gar

Occupation
EE
100127-1525 EST

Zappy:

Have you read the book 1984?

The government wants to track money flow in all sorts of ways. This is one of their methods. If you get the employer ID, then you use it instead of your own social security number. This helps to isolate your SS number.

There are people that receive money and don't report it. The 1099 is one way to reduce the unreported money.

Occupation
Inspector
I have been in business for the past 5 years and I have been using my SS# as my ID Number. I have been looking over this thread and it got me thinking, why not get an EIN.

I just went to the IRS web-site and filed and received my EIN in just a matter of minutes.

If you are interested here is the link:

https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp

I just had to answer a few questions and Bingo I now have an EIN. Since I have been in business for a few years I chose to use "Banking" as my need for the EIN.

Hope this helps.

rt66electric

$50 fine for other guy

$50 fine for other guy

SIMILAR STORY/// i NEVER RECEIVED MY LAST PAYMNET OF$1500, his book keeper called and asked for my###. I replied " Sure I'll give you my number as soon as i get my final $$$$ " The next day the deliquent contractor called and got beligerent, I replied "I took ment 6months and numreous calls to get paid, I'll be sure to send you my number in a similar timely fashion".

I called a CPA She replied "stick to your guns, He should have got the number first..... BUMMER..." I also asked what is my legal obligation... None! I asked what is HIS tax problems??? "a $50 fine"
If you want to contine doinging business with this guy , it would be best to give out the### otherwize he could go bite something.

zappy

zappy,

He should have sent you a W-9 Form for you to complete and send back to him.

Bernard

Your correct he did. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to give him that info. So I haven't mailed it back to him. So question 1: Do I have to give him any info by law? Question 2: If I'm claiming this income I earned from him anyway, what benefit is it to me to give him this info? Question 3: By giving him this info, will it make me pay more in taxes? Or less? Or doesn't affect anything, and just be a nice guy and give him this info, and maybe he'll use my services again? As you can tell I'm ignorant about this 10-99 stuff. But I'm learning thanks to you guys. If it doesn't cost anything I think I will get a Federal ID#.

Status
Not open for further replies.