getting Romex out of caulked holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
Haven't had this problem so much before. Romex passing through holes in wall top plate was seriously caulked. It's semi-flexible latex caulk it appears, but it is tough. Any tricks for dealing with this (to remove the Romex from the hole) ? I try not to abuse Romex too badly, but I'm thinking as long as you're pulling in a more or less straight line, that you can probably pull as hard as you're able (without using any mechanical advantage) - true ? If that doesn't work, any other tips ? Trying to drill the caulk seems hazardous.

Martin B

I've actually had a similar problem once. Being careful not to damage the wire of cores I used a large flat screwdriver to beat or push the calking out. It works prity good if your pushing in the opposite direction that the caulking was installed. However there where a few cables I was not able to save. The caulking job you are dealing with may be Permanent. In that case you wont be able to save the wire which is not your fault.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
all latex caulk? it will soften under hot water. if need be, maybe spray bottle hot water and slowly pry out the soft stuff, repeat until needed, etc. spraying water will make a mess though.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
Seems like latex, yeah. I'll try that. Does it need to be water, or would a hair dryer (or heat gun, for electronics work) do the trick ?

JFletcher

The cheap gray firestop hardens completely; just chip it out with a screwdriver and hammer. Yellow/red firestops dont completely harden, so it should be fairly easy to get the NM out. or is this actual latex caulk? You could carefully take a razorknife and cut where it is sealed to the framing, then pull out the NM, caulk would come out like a plug around the cable.

eta: you could also use a pick with a 90* tip to remove the caulk

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
The cheap gray firestop hardens completely; just chip it out with a screwdriver and hammer. Yellow/red firestops dont completely harden, so it should be fairly easy to get the NM out. or is this actual latex caulk? You could carefully take a razorknife and cut where it is sealed to the framing, then pull out the NM, caulk would come out like a plug around the cable.
No, not firestop. Actual latex, I think.

eta: you could also use a pick with a 90* tip to remove the caulk
A soldering iron ?

Status
Not open for further replies.