Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 150 amp service sizing

150 amp service sizing

150 amp service wire size and conduit size? does the weatherhead and service conduit need to be rigid? is it #1 or 1/0 in 1"1/2?

Quote Originally Posted by calisparky6 View Post
    150 amp service wire size and conduit size? does the weatherhead and service conduit need to be rigid? is it #1 or 1/0 in 1"1/2?
    Are you guessing or are you using a codebook? I am assuming you are talking about as residence as the wire size is different for residence. Look at t. 310.15(B)(6) for the wire size and then go to the back of the book and look at Annex C Tables.

If the riser extends beyond the roof and will support the overhead lines then it must be rigid, otherwise, PVC, emt rigid etc will work. Some areas won't allow PVC. You could also use se cable.

It also depends on the type wiring and the Code cycle in your jurisdiction and how they enforce 339.10 in the '08 Code, and as Dennis notes residential or non-residential, also 3 phase or single, 240/120 or 208Y/120.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

ok. so #1cu THHN and 1"1/14 rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    It also depends on the type wiring and the Code cycle in your jurisdiction and how they enforce 339.10 in the '08 Code, and as Dennis notes residential or non-residential, also 3 phase or single, 240/120 or 208Y/120.
    May also depend on the POCO if the weatherhead and service conduit comprise a service mast. Around here the minimum is 2" GRC.
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

im in the bay area. i think its 1 1/4 min. def not 2" min.

ok. so #1cu THHN and 1"1/14 rigid.
    So this is a single phase dwelling service correct?
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

single phase residential dwelling. my friend put solar on his house and inspector wants him to move his panel and put the meter main in a more accessible location. while we are at it we are going to just swap out his 100amp for 150 amp.
    2000sq/ft house.
    existing electric dryer.
    gas everything else
    possible swap to electric water heater tankless next year... (the main reason for the upgrade to 150a)

... inspector wants him to move his panel and put the meter main in a more accessible location.
    Is this due to code requirements, or just what the inspector would like to see?

we are going to just swap out his 100amp for 150 amp.

... possible swap to electric water heater tankless next year... (the main reason for the upgrade to 150a)
    I wouldn't even consider going to less than 200a. The labor is the same, the parts difference is nil, and the tankless is going to eat power in big chunks.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

well, since the solar panels were added and my friend installed the panel 2 years ago without permits...its currently in the original location that the crica 1920 fuse box was located. down low in the "dog house" cabinet on the side of his house. the inspector wants the meter and main disconnect to be more accesible.

as far as 150 vs. 200. we did a load calc including future projects and at 125% we are still over his need putting in 150a. the whole reason he put solar panels on his house was because wanted to DECREASE his need for utility power. the permit was pulled for 150a upgrade. we wanted to try and reuse the 1" 1/4 service pipe and just put in #1. BUT!!! maybe we should just install 1"1/2 and 1/0 for a 200a. damn