3 way switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

I'm tired of digging so I need some help. What section of the NEC requires a switch in two places, top & bottom of stairs that are ovear 5 steps ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I will be contrary :grin: and say that 210.70 nor the NEC have anything to say about 3 way switches on stairs. Of course, that is what we do but we could have single pole switches on each landing lighting it's own light.

I don't think you would be in business long if you did this. Not sure why the code isn't more forceful with that statement.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis, I forgot that "argument" and I agree :)
One of those areas where "common practice" comes into play.

I guess the true answer would be "it (Code) doesn't":)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
so much for being the Good Samaritan :) Hey Hendrix, The Code doesn't require what you ask :grin:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
From the residential building code:

"303.6 Stairway illumination.

All interior and exterior stairways shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway.******"

"303.6.1 Light activation.

The control for activation of the required interior stairway lighting shall be accessible at the top and bottom of each stairway without traversing any steps. The illumination of exterior stairways shall be controlled from inside the dwelling unit.

Exception: Lights that are continuously illuminated or automatically controlled."

EDIT: Three way required.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
From the residential building code:

EDIT: Three way required.

I'm sorry I don't see that wording as requiring 3 way switches either. Obviously I would install 3 way but they are not required.

Can we not have an automatic control of these lights. This would not necessarily be a 3 way switch.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I'm sorry I don't see that wording as requiring 3 way switches either. Obviously I would install 3 way but they are not required.

Can we not have an automatic control of these lights. This would not necessarily be a 3 way switch.

"shall be accessible at the top and bottom of each stairway without traversing any steps"

I can only see this, one switch, possible with just two steps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
"shall be accessible at the top and bottom of each stairway without traversing any steps"

I can only see this, one switch, possible with just two steps.

A single pole switch. One at the top controlling one light while another sp at the bottom would control another light. The lights would always be capable of being turned on from either level.

mivey

http://www.jccalc.com/images/stair-cutouts.jpg

The above picture has 5 steps and six risers, which tells me that it's not more than 5 steps.

"has six risers, or more" is the requirement.
Looks to me like the top step has a different finish surface than the others.

Supposed you had a living room going into a kitchen with "one riser but zero steps": Would you tell a blind man to "step up", or would you just let him fall down because you say it is not a step? :grin:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
A single pole switch. One at the top controlling one light while another sp at the bottom would control another light. The lights would always be capable of being turned on from either level.

Here is another:

"101.3 Intent.

The purpose of this code is to establish uniform requirements for the erection, construction, repair, alteration, and maintenance of residential buildings, including construction of industrialized units. Such requirements shall relate to the conservation of energy, safety and sanitation of buildings for their intended use and occupancy with consideration for the following:"

Note: "Such requirements shall relate to the conservation of energy, safety"

"104.4 Inspections.

If the plans for the erection, construction, repair, alteration, relocating or equipment of a residential building are subject to inspection by the residential building official, under Section 109, the residential building official shall cause to be made such inspections, investigations and determinations as are necessary to determine whether or not the work which has been performed and the installations which have been made are in conformity with the approved plans and to safety and sanitation."

Note: "determinations"

I believe that the intent was for the lights to be able to be switched at both locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.