Taps at a seperate building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Elec.

A feeder is ran to a separate building.
The feeder is to be tapped inside the building.
Does the feeder need a disconnect to satisfy 225.32, or can the tapped conductors to their disconnects serve as the building disconnecting means?
The number of tapped conductor disconnects will total less than six (to comply with 225.33).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, the taps would suffice as long as the disconnects are appropriately placed and there are not more than six

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A feeder is ran to a separate building.
The feeder is to be tapped inside the building.
Does the feeder need a disconnect to satisfy 225.32, or can the tapped conductors to their disconnects serve as the building disconnecting means?
The number of tapped conductor disconnects will total less than six (to comply with 225.33).

Does it meet the other requirements of 240.21(B)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With this wording in the Code " The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors." you are obviously going to have a situation very much dependent on the exact particulars and probably the AHJ's judgment.
Is it not possible to make the taps outside ?

Rich Elec.

Bob, The installation will meet the 240.21 (B) tap length requirements from where the taps connect to the feeder. But the feeder disconnect would be in a separate building.

Augie, the disconnects will be close to the point of entrance, we can not use the outside of the building.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Since the Code does not give specifics anything we say here is conjecture. I tend to be a little more lenient on "closest to" with feeders (vs services) as there is OCP ahead of them.
When all is said and done, I fear it's a local AHJ call.
What size feeder are we talking about ? and what wiring method ?

Rich Elec.

Thanks for your input Gus, from what I gather the installation is not going to be a problem. I am consulting with the AHJ.
To answer your questions. The amperage is 100. And it will be in RMC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks for your input Gus, from what I gather the installation is not going to be a problem. I am consulting with the AHJ.
To answer your questions. The amperage is 100. And it will be in RMC.
That normally helps. Fairly low amperage and well protected conductors will often have an effect on the "ruling".
I will have to admit when I have to make one of those "judgement" calls, RMC vs SE does make a difference.

disconnect

disconnect

I had the same question last week, asked a building inspector. He said that the the bkr on the main pannel was all that was needed. I could have 20 bkrs on the drop pannel with no questions. This in northern Fla.

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I had the same question last week, asked a building inspector. He said that the the bkr on the main pannel was all that was needed. I could have 20 bkrs on the drop pannel with no questions. This in northern Fla.
Well, once the problems in Haiti are squared away, we should start a relief fund for educating North Florida inspectors. ;) :D

A detached structure must have no more than 6 handles to disconnect all sources of supply, just like a service.

2005 FAQ

jwjrw

Well, once the problems in Haiti are squared away, we should start a relief fund for educating North Florida inspectors. ;) :D

A detached structure must have no more than 6 handles to disconnect all sources of supply, just like a service.

2005 FAQ

I almost spit my drink out when I read that!:D

jwjrw

2005 FAQ

If the panel in the seperate structure had a main you could then have 20 sppaces correct?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
But the guy from Fla meant a main lug with 20 circuits which would violate 230.71(a) Is that correct
I assume he was referring to an MLO panel with 20 branch circuit breakers in it.

A service would need to comply with 230.71.

A feeder supplying a detached structure would need to comply with 225.33.

Status
Not open for further replies.