weather PROOF recptical

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
No, they do not exist, however weather resistant receptacles do exist and the 2008 NEC requires they be used in wet locations.

Yep, wet AND damp locations, 406.8(A) for damp locations and 406.8(B)(1) for wet locations.

Chris

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
They make receptacles and connectors designed for continuous submersion in water. It should be possible (if expensive) to make an actual waterproof receptacle. (note: these generally require special mating plugs, and won't work with standard NEMA devices.)

-Jon

nakulak

he didn't say waterproof, so I assumed he was asking about NEC wording of "weatherproof". not sure tho

TOOL_5150

arent those yellow rubber connectors and plugs waterproof? I thought you could drop the connector end with the cap in place in a puddle and nothing would happen, the connector would stay free of water.

They sort of look like the twist lock version of this connector.:
MAR-9678.jpg

~Matt

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

arent those yellow rubber connectors and plugs waterproof? I thought you could drop the connector end with the cap in place in a puddle and nothing would happen, the connector would stay free of water.

They sort of look like the twist lock version of this connector.:
MAR-9678.jpg

~Matt

This picture has a 15-amp male plug connected to a 30-amp female. If I was a manufacturer, I think I'd have a self imposed problem selling this.

Status
Not open for further replies.