Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 208 volt circuit and receptacle

208 volt circuit and receptacle

I have a job installing a circuit for a 208 volt copy machine. The specifications call for a NEMA 6-15 2 pole, 3 wire, grounding rated at 250V/ 15AMP.

What is up with this? If I install this type of receptacle on a 208 volt circuit--what would prevent some unsuspecting person from plugging a 240V device into this receptacle?

You have to install a 250v receptacle.... there is no such thing as a 208 volt receptacle.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    You have to install a 250v receptacle.... there is no such thing as a 208 volt receptacle.
    Great. So there is nothing to alert the consumer that the receptacle is actually supplied by 208 and not 240 volts?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg1707 View Post
    Great. So there is nothing to alert the consumer that the receptacle is actually supplied by 208 and not 240 volts?
    Only the label that you put on it. (And the knowledge that most larger commercial buildings are 120/208, so nothing will actually be 240v.)

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Take a look at a NEMA 18.

But for 2 pole, 3 wire, grounding plugs and receptacles I agree with you.

So there is nothing to alert the consumer that the receptacle is actually supplied by 208 and not 240 volts?
    Only the knowledge that almost everything is rated for 208v or 240v these days.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

minimun number of conductors

Thanks for the information. I don't have much experience with this voltage so please excuse the following question. Am I correct in assuming that I can run two 208 volt circuits using a three wire MWB?

Thanks for the information. I don't have much experience with this voltage so please excuse the following question. Am I correct in assuming that I can run two 208 volt circuits using a three wire MWB?

No.

Two 208 volt single phase circuits requires four conductors plus a equipment grounding means.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    No.

Two 208 volt single phase circuits requires four conductors plus a equipment grounding means.
    Thanks for saving me on this one!!

Of course, Bob's answer didn't include: "But, you can run a single MWBC (Multi-Wire Branch Circuit) to supply two loads, depending on whether the loads require individual supplies."

For two copiers, or any two similar loads, I wouldn't even consider doing it.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA