Troubleshooting a compressor on a chiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

The contacts on one of the contactors that energize a compressor for our new Chiller is all burnt up. What typically causes a new contactor to do that? I can understand why a old one would do that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There could be many causes. Often it's caused by the starter
"chattering" or "plugging". Have you had an opportunity to observe how often the starter pulls in over a given time period ? Is it possible a switch or thermostat is causing the starter to pull in repeatedly ?

JdoubleU

There could be many causes. Often it's caused by the starter
"chattering" or "plugging". Have you had an opportunity to observe how often the starter pulls in over a given time period ? Is it possible a switch or thermostat is causing the starter to pull in repeatedly ?

I will check with the HVAC guy on about the switch. Could it be that the coil is bad on the starter? I haven't had a chance to get out to that yet. Just thought I would get some Ideas befor I go.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
world of possibilities and I've learned to rule nothing out... just from experience I have seen compressors operating at threshold limits which allowed them to cycle on on off very often due to some safety (pressure, etc) opening and closing. It those situations, the contactor were eaten up quickly.

cschmid

I would like some more info please. what is the chiller make and size? because the contactor should be for the heater as the motor is normally on a VFD. So it could actually be from several things.

Now I am talking about a chiller used for HVAC applications for commercial air handling systems

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It could be chattering as others have suggested. I would check for an under voltage condition at the coil. I have seen where control circuit condcutors were too small for the length of the control circuit and a significant voltage drop would not allow the coil to fully close. But like the others have said it could be any of a number of causes.

charlietuna

Contractors who troubleshoot chillers need to own data loggers to really know what is happening. That way they are not guessing at what is happening---they know !

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The contacts on one of the contactors that energize a compressor for our new Chiller is all burnt up. What typically causes a new contactor to do that? I can understand why a old one would do that.
All six contacts, or only one phase's? Did the compressor funtion correctly at first?

Added: Warranty?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.