Help on 3 Phase Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

awc

I have a job to quote and it's a bit of mind bender for me right now.....I have a guy who has 240V 3 Phase in one building and wants to run it over to a new building that has just been recently built but wants to go overhead. I'm trying to determine what would be best to use to get it overhead into the building. Only looking to get 100Amps over to the new building. I was thinking perhaps some type of Quadruplex configuration for overhead yet have enough conductors, means to attach to dead end, and be outdoor rated. Need some much appreciated guidance. :-?Thanks in advance for your help.

Mr. Wizard

I have a job to quote and it's a bit of mind bender for me right now.....I have a guy who has 240V 3 Phase in one building and wants to run it over to a new building that has just been recently built but wants to go overhead. I'm trying to determine what would be best to use to get it overhead into the building. Only looking to get 100Amps over to the new building. I was thinking perhaps some type of Quadruplex configuration for overhead yet have enough conductors, means to attach to dead end, and be outdoor rated. Need some much appreciated guidance. :-?Thanks in advance for your help.

Come out of the existing building with a bit of RMC to a weatherhead, and do the overhead drop to the new building, where another weatherhead and a bit of RMC will tie it in. Is that what you're asking? Maybe some 4-wire, #4 service drop wire would work for your situation.

awc

DIY engineering is considered absolutely okay on this forum.

cf

I'm going to assume since I NEVER updated my profile from APPRENTICE from when I first came here that's the reason for the comment left by Bob?? Wow, I just hope I'm reading this wrong because from what I see It seems a bit rude.

awc

Come out of the existing building with a bit of RMC to a weatherhead, and do the overhead drop to the new building, where another weatherhead and a bit of RMC will tie it in. Is that what you're asking? Maybe some 4-wire, #4 service drop wire would work for your situation.

Yes, thank you. That seems like a good solution. I appreciate your help!

Mr. Wizard

Oops, cancel the #4, maybe go for some #2 instead

Buck Parrish

Yeah most quadraplex 3 phase the neutral is bare and it's your support wire and the grounding conductor.
Perhaps, you could add another wire so you can isolate the neutral as required in 08.

awc

Yeah most quadraplex 3 phase the neutral is bare and it's your support wire and the grounding conductor.
Perhaps, you could add another wire so you can isolate the neutral as required in 08.

Thank you for your reply. That was one of my main issues was getting enough conductors across yet having something outdoor rated. I'll do some digging. Thanks again for your reponse.

wireguru

I havent found any 5 conductor aerial cable. One option would be run quadraplex (3H+G) (service wire co makes it in XHHW) and stick a transformer at the end (probably not best solution). Another option would be to use a 5 conductor tray cable and lash it to a messenger wire. Would be heavier and require better support at each end.

Is it permissible to use 5 individual conductors and lash them to a messenger wire?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you even need a neutral? If not you will not need a 5th conductor.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.