Quick Temp Lot Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Suppose you were going to light a large parking lot for only a year; what cost-cutting measures and products would you employ to get the most bang for your buck?

Edit: by "large" I mean roughly the size of a football field, room for roughly 200 cars.

Last edited:

mgookin

Wood poles are usually the lowest cost but with the swing in commodities it's probably worth getting updated prices.
You may even be able to find some used poles. I know around here there's been a long term plan to harden the infrastructure following all those storms we had. I don't know what they did with the poles. Maybe ask someone in utility construction.
With good hard ground you can go direct burial and avoid installing & removing foundations.

Of course aerial will be cheaper than u/g.

Cheap HID's & 10k hour bulbs (an outdoor light should burn 4k+ hours/year)

If you want very quick and very temporary there's this: http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/ledtowers/index.html
You could find a place to rent them or sell them when you're done.

iwire

Staff member
Funny, I was chatting with George about this last week and mentioned that as the perfect solution. I think he thought I was kidding. :)

The issue with light towers is who is firing them up and turning them off each night and fueling them up for a year.

iwire

Staff member
My solution was simpler; give it to someone older and wiser and get back to work on the little things. :)

:D

We would use wood poles and overhead lines but we don't have the equipment or experience to do it. We have a subcontractor we use for this type of work.

mgookin

The issue with light towers is who is firing them up and turning them off each night and fueling them up for a year.

The generator starter solenoid gets a signal from any light control (we have adapted one of our controls for that company; that's how I knew about them) and it runs 2-3 weeks on a tank of fuel. It's objective is to be functional while unattended.

iwire

Staff member
The generator starter solenoid gets a signal from any light control (we have adapted one of our controls for that company; that's how I knew about them) and it runs 2-3 weeks on a tank of fuel. It's objective is to be functional while unattended.

Sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.