Heater/Light/ Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I would like to hear from some of you about putting a heater/light/exhaust in a shower stall. Just some pro and cons. This is a high end house and there is already a light/exhaust in the stall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it is a bad idea and I believe you will find that it must be on a GFCI when used over a shower stall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Have you found one that is rated for wet locations?
I think damp location may work depending on the height of the ceiling but I think most fans are rated for over a shower. You just need gfci protection

You would only need wet location if it were subject to shower spray.

jwjrw

I agree but it does cost a lot more-- I think it is well worth it esp. since there is little to no maintenance on it.

Yep and when the neighbors see it and how nice the new bath looks they have to have it tooo! Got to keep up with the Jones's:D

guschash

This house is already finished and they just want to change the light/exhaust to a light/exhaust/heat. I agree floor heat is nice but if they wanted something like that, they should have done it when the was house built. ( only 2-3 years old ). I didn't think about damp location but I just thought it was suited for the shower stall. But good point and I will check that out. Thanks

gus

jamesoftn

I ran across one of these installed on a Rough In. After reading all the literature it was not clear if this was allowed or not. Then I vcalled the 800 number, spoke with the Tech. Dept. and was told DO NOT INSTALL OVER a SHOWER. The unit was not listed for this location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I ran across one of these installed on a Rough In. After reading all the literature it was not clear if this was allowed or not. Then I vcalled the 800 number, spoke with the Tech. Dept. and was told DO NOT INSTALL OVER a SHOWER. The unit was not listed for this location.
Usually the info or instruction sheet will simply state "GFCI protection is needed when installed over a shower stall". This pretty much indicates that it is listed for the install.

I would not necessarily feel comfortable with a tech phone call either. But it is safe to not install it there. I had not seen a fan or a fan/ light that couldn't but not sure about a fan/light/heat.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had a customer that got mad because I refused to install a Heat/vent/light over the shower because it was not listed. I was not going to count on the small town inspector to turn it down either. What was so funny about it, he was so concerned about safety, he had me pipe and wire his new house in EMT, but yet he was not concerned about the listing.

I might be stating the obvious here, but don't forget upgrading the fan to one with a heater isn't as simple as changing out the fixture, you're probably going to need to bring up a dedicated circuit

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I just looked up a Nutone Ventilation Fan with Heater and Flourescent Light
Model QTXN110HFLT . It didn't see where it said anything about GFCI protection or not being able to use in a shower.:confused:

I may have missed it, but I reviewed the installion sheet and specs and I don't see that model approved for damp or wet locations.

jwjrw

I just looked up a Nutone Ventilation Fan with Heater and Flourescent Light
Model QTXN110HFLT . It didn't see where it said anything about GFCI protection or not being able to use in a shower.:confused:

I looked at a nutone also said it way down low where it said 20 amp circuit.

jwjrw

I might be stating the obvious here, but don't forget upgrading the fan to one with a heater isn't as simple as changing out the fixture, you're probably going to need to bring up a dedicated circuit

Hmmm a junior member with a good point...Probably a master in disguise....

dmagyar

Heater / vent fan light combo

Heater / vent fan light combo

Gusco, I've installed a combination unit in a bathroom this past summer, but not over the shower. First it needed it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit, then the second issue is adding the additional switching. The job ended up alot more expensive than most people are willing to pay for, (due in part to the dedicated circuit needed from the panel). Then they had the plastic plumbing lines overhead in the attic, which was another factor adding to the install (avoiding stepping on any lines, through the insulation while installing which I didn't figure on).

It did turn out nice, but the first neighbor that saw it and wanted one, choked on the cost.

electricmanscott

Usually the info or instruction sheet will simply state "GFCI protection is needed when installed over a shower stall". This pretty much indicates that it is listed for the install.

I would not necessarily feel comfortable with a tech phone call either. But it is safe to not install it there. I had not seen a fan or a fan/ light that couldn't but not sure about a fan/light/heat.

The last heat/vent/light unit I installed had instructions that said not for use in a shower or over a tub. I think it was a Panny.

guschash

Thanks dmagyar, what you descripted sounds like the house I was in. The had all this plastic pipe, high insulation and vaulted ceilings in bathroom. Over the shower stall there was a flat ceiling that I could open up which will help change out the old light/fan fixture but I need to check that the fixture is for damp and wet locations. I knew that it needed to be on its own circuit and 20 amps. They have a jacuzzi that is on a 20a GFIC that I can get to in the attic that I am going to use. They don't use the jacuzzi and I doubt that the jacuzzi and shower will be used at the same time.

gus

Status
Not open for further replies.