Light Fixture Clearance From Sprinkler Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSoliz

I read that and it isn't to clear to me. Are predictament is in closets in our multi-family building. We are getting a range of "codes" from all people involved. But it is very clear that no one really knows. So I differ to you guys. We have overhead sprinklers that are approximately 12" or so from surface mounted fixtures (sometimes closer). The fixtures pertrude about 6-8" from the ceiling. So where would I find the requirements on this type of situation?

Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I read that and it isn't to clear to me. Are predictament is in closets in our multi-family building. We are getting a range of "codes" from all people involved. But it is very clear that no one really knows. So I differ to you guys. We have overhead sprinklers that are approximately 12" or so from surface mounted fixtures (sometimes closer). The fixtures pertrude about 6-8" from the ceiling. So where would I find the requirements on this type of situation?

Thanks.

I'm guessing but I would think that it would be in the code that covers sprinkler installations. As long as the fixture doesn't impede the water flow it might not be a problem.

jwjrw

Seems like I remember 6" from the last condo project I was on here. I could be wrong. Was a local code.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks.

Try looking in NFPA 13 on the NFPA website. (You can view the codes for free if you register. But expect what you pay for - it works but it isn't real convinent. Its obvious NFPA would still prefer to sell the books than give them away for free.)

www.nfpa.org

MarkyMarkNC

It depends on the type sprinkler head. Find the listing on the sprinkler head, and it should have the distance requirements available.

There is no hard and fast rule on the distance. That is an urban legend according to a few sprinkler inspectors I've spoken to.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would agree with infinity. If it was a can light who cares?, But maybe a 4' wrap around needs to be farther away.

I don't know the answer as the fire sprinkler inspections are done by the county fire department here. May just be easier to call and see who has jurisdiction over them in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.