gfci replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Also if you decide to run a #12 grd wire instead. You can run it right up the wall, exposed.
I am pretty sure this is correct.

exposed or concealed is another issue, physical protection comes to mind, but must run to one of the following

(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions. The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following:
(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50
(2) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor
(3) The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates
(4) For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor within the service equipment enclosure
(5) For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar within the service equipment enclosure

fireryan

OK, so everyone has made it quite clear on what a GFCI does, and what to do when you replace a non-grounding receptacle with a GFI, etc...

Can I ask you what it was about lightning that you thought GFCI protected against? You've already shown that you believe it's OK to ask questions, and I totally agree, which is why I'm asking this one. Send me a private message if you don't feel like posting it here.

I think maybe I worded this question wrong. I realize how a gfci works. What I dont realize is what you are achieving when replacing a 2 wire outlet with a gfci besides not having to use a 2 wire plug adapter. You will still be without the ground.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I think maybe I worded this question wrong. I realize how a gfci works. What I dont realize is what you are achieving when replacing a 2 wire outlet with a gfci besides not having to use a 2 wire plug adapter. You will still be without the ground.
Current flowing through my body instead of the neutral will trip the GFCI and save my life?

Volta

Yup, that is exactly what happens.

IMO, its a poorman's fix to install a GFI with no equiptment ground. The right way is to just rewire the outlet.

Yes, you're right. It is one of the most cost-effective safety improvements we can provide to our customers!

Status
Not open for further replies.