panel plug actually in side of panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bldgknow

I am a home inspector in Toronto. Came across a first yesterday which is the typical "panel plug" basement plug receptacle , however it was actually installed in to the side of the branch circuit section of the 100 amp /240v panel. The body of the receptacle is inside the panel, and the face of the receptacle protrudes through two holes at bottom right hand side of panel ( don't know if they were knock out holes or custom cut or punched) .

So in order to replace or check connections on this receptacle, the panel cover must be removed. I wrote it up ( not being a code inspector of course) as something to be checked by qualified electrician because my thoughts were :a) it poses an added unnecessary risk for the homeowner b) Panel section should only have branch circuit wiring going through it, not act as a junction box c) panel rating may not have included this type of installation and d) I have never seen it before, and found it in combo with some other amateur work.

Is this allowed by code? (Canada)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can't speak for the codes in Canada. In the US, a branch circuit panel is permitted to be used as a junction box or a "pull-through" box. There are restrictions, but generally that would be OK. I don't think you can punch your own holes into a panelboard, and install an item that was not intended (by the manufacturer) to be there. My guess (and I cannot be certain here) is that this would not be allowed. I agree with your comment that this should be checked by a qualified electrician.

bldgknow

panel plug

panel plug

I should have mentioned in the description that the receptacle terminals were wrapped with electrical tape inside the panel. No other protection, and the receptacle was held in place with the one central bolt that is usually used for the cover plate. Otherwise it was a very neat installation.

We have CEC 6-212 ( at least in the 2006 version) : Enclosures for circuit breakers and externally operated switches shall not be used as junction boxes, troughs, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other apparatus.

The more I dig on it the more I am comfortable that I called it out.
Thanks for the responses so far.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see it as any type of additional hazard. I am not aware of any code section that would either permit or prohibit this installation. I would be inclined to approve it as long as it did not over fill the wire way, using the rule in 312.8 that permits splices to use up to 75% of the wiring space.
I am a lot more concerned by the use of the single screw to support the receptacle than I am about the wireway fill. 406.4(C). I know that the side of the panel is not a cover, but the issue is the same...the receptacle is supported by a single screw.

rogerdren

I can't speak for the codes in Canada. In the US, a branch circuit panel is permitted to be used as a junction box or a "pull-through" box. There are restrictions, but generally that would be OK. I don't think you can punch your own holes into a panelboard, and install an item that was not intended (by the manufacturer) to be there. My guess (and I cannot be certain here) is that this would not be allowed. I agree with your comment that this should be checked by a qualified electrician.

Even I agree with you we have to take help of an experienced electrician.I think this is not possible to the all the people.

Last edited by a moderator:

ty

I am a lot more concerned by the use of the single screw to support the receptacle than I am about the wireway fill. 406.4(C). I know that the side of the panel is not a cover, but the issue is the same...the receptacle is supported by a single screw.
And if memory serves me correctly, you submitted that particular Code change way back when?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And if memory serves me correctly, you submitted that particular Code change way back when?
Todd,
That is correct. I submitted it for the 89 code as 410-56(h). It was accepted by a unanimous vote of the panel in the TCR (now known as ROP) and was rejected, also by a unanimous vote, after a number of comments from manufacturers that said there was no problem with a single screw support, in the TCD (now the ROC). Myself and a couple of others submitted similar proposals for the 92 code and one of the others was the one that was accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.