Switch Box Mounted Occupancy Sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Can a switch box mounted motion sensor be mounted facing a clothes washer and dryer? It will be directly above the front of the washer which is next to the dryer so it will probably pick up any movement either one will make. What if I mount the switch upside down?
Thanks,
Jim

Ravenvalor

Sensor

Sensor

The sensitivity cannot be turned down because the sensor has to pick up movement from the entrance which is on the other side of the room.

The reason I was thinking of turning the sensor upside down is because I was wondering if the sensing range went downward from the sensor like a motion sensor floodlight's sensing range.

ptrip

Try it out first and see if it does indeed become an issue. If it does, could you just cover the lower edge of the sensor little by little until it blocks the view of the washer and dryer but still can "see" folks come and go?

Start with elec tape until you get it "right" ... then follow up with some white-out or something so it looks a little nicer.

Ravenvalor

Motion sensor in laundry room

Motion sensor in laundry room

Great idea about the white out.

I didn't know about the T8 fluorescent lights not working on motion sensors though. What brand ballast and motion sensor were you using?

Thanks,
Jim

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I just used a bunch of Wattstopper wall switch mount OS in a library retrofit. We also switched over to electronic T8's at the same time with no issues.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
RAB makes an occupancy sensor that will work with fluorescents.
The sensor switches a relay on/off. That relay doesn't really care what the load is.

The sensor works great. I have put them in garages.

The sensor picks up opening the door from the house when mounted on the far end of a garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.