derating grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowhunter

Is it necessary to derate the grounding conductors if I'm running two feeders for 3 phase 4-wire panels in the same raceway and they are passing through a 35 degree C area.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The equipment grounding conductors are not rated for ampacity anyway, so the concept of derating would not apply to them.

Bowhunter

Thanks for your reply.

I thought that maybe because the equipment grounding conductor was sized according to the amperage of the overcurrent device in T250.122 at some point with derating it might call a larger wire than is shown in T250.122.

Thanks

480sparky

Thanks for your reply.

I thought that maybe because the equipment grounding conductor was sized according to the amperage of the overcurrent device in T250.122 at some point with derating it might call a larger wire than is shown in T250.122.

Thanks

It's not considered a current-carrying conductor (CCC).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Let's be clear about our use of terminology here.
  • IF because of having more than three current-carrying conductors in the same raceway you have to derate the conductor's ampacity,
  • AND IF because of this you have to use a larger size wire for the ungrounded conductors,
  • THEN you also have to use a larger EGC.
But that is not a process of derating the EGC, since as I said already the EGC does not have an ampacity rating.

480sparky

Let's be clear about our use of terminology here.
  • IF because of having more than three current-carrying conductors in the same raceway you have to derate the conductor's ampacity,
  • AND IF because of this you have to use a larger size wire for the ungrounded conductors,
  • THEN you also have to use a larger EGC.
But that is not a process of derating the EGC, since as I said already the EGC does not have an ampacity rating.

250.122(B), if anyone wants to look it up.

Bowhunter

Sorry I took so long to get back.

I read 250.122(B) and I understand it to say if I have to increase the size of the ungrounded conductors because of derating or volt drop then I should increase the size of the equiptment grounding conductor proportionately. So its
got nothing to do with carrying current unless there is a fault.

Do you agree?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sorry I took so long to get back.

I read 250.122(B) and I understand it to say if I have to increase the size of the ungrounded conductors because of derating or volt drop then I should increase the size of the equiptment grounding conductor proportionately. So its
got nothing to do with carrying current unless there is a fault.

Do you agree?

If you circuit conductors were so long that due to voltage drop you needed larger conductors then the same thing would apply to the EGC. It would need to be large enough (and it's resistance low enough) to ensure that it can quickly open the OCPD ahead of the circuit. As far a increasing the EGC size for derating there is no real world reason to do this but it is required because of 250.122(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.