hot tub pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

But, the sales man said it would only be a few hundred to wire it.

I know this saying.

have had many a customer say sales person said electrical cost $200.00-$300.00 oh and not required to have a permit also told to customer.

I think Hot Tub sales person are like used car sales man they tell you just want you want to hear and lie to you.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
hmmmm? GE or CH? :confused:

Hmmm maybe GE; the gfi's have a big red test button. Seems like those are GE cb's. Had a few CH panels that were 4sp with only the center two spaces being opposite buss. Outer spaces are for sp cb's only.

As for the salespeople lying on cost, if you're going to do a lot of spas get to be friends with the guys selling them. Mine know what the average cost is so they're not setting me up for an argument with the HO. But most of the time, surprisingly, that conversation doesn't even come up during the sale.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
hot tub install

hot tub install

Hot tub installs can be very involved from my experience. The last tub I installed in a back yard included the following:
rerouting A/C circuit in buried RMC conduit.
Install disconnect to outside of house.
Install branch circuit conductors for tub in buried RMC.
Demo a portion of the concreted patio surrounding the area to connect #6 solid copper ground to existing reinforcing mesh for equopotential common bonding.
Demo portion of nearby stoop and stairs for same purpose.
Bond water spigot, metal window surround.
Install GFCI protection for nearby back door light.
The customer had a very small back yard (town house) and all of these things had to be done to accommodate the tub install.
This all came to about $3,000.

BTW, the company that sold him the tub gave him the following instructions for the electrical: "just have an electrician run a 50 AMP circuit outside."

RESI

An inspector in my area, VA, had the homeowner tear up a concrete pad because they did not install a equipotential bonding grid under/in it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I never price any job till I see it.
Absolutely! (With rare, predictable exception. I may give a range.)

. . . not required to have a permit also told to customer.
I was waiting from the OP to see if anyone mentioned permit and inspection, as I was ready to. One can do a safe and functional installation for much less cost than one that will be inspected.

This has been proven out by the sheer amount of discussions we've had in the "how and where can we get around or avoid the insulated-neutral requirements?" pool and hot-tub electrical-supply threads.

A completely-compliant, permitted and inspected hot-tub installation can cost twice as much to do as one that was done with even UF all the way, and I've seen much worse than that, like NM and no GFCI.

Nonetheless, there's no way to price a job over the phone. At the very least, you have to see the length, routing, and tub requirements. Then there's the service size and headroom, and breaker space.

You may have an outdoor panel 20 feet away, or you may have a 100' run under or around the house, or to a detached building. There's the aforementioned earth/pad equipotential issues, service receptacle, etc.

However, Charlie Bob, having said all that, the previous job you mentioned in your opening post is probably the best ruler of all for you to use as a comparison yardstick for materials and labor. Oh, and permit/inspection. ;)

aline

two hours to estimate and two hours to get materials seems like an awfully long time. I would work on my estimating time; knock it down to 30 minutes or less.
The 30 minutes is ok if they have you do the job while you're there.

Often times when I do estimates for these, the hot tub hasn't been delivered or they need the pad poured for it first, etc.

This means I make a trip out just for the estimate.
I can't seem to drive anywhere in less than a half hour anymore with all the congestion and road construction going on. That means a half hour drive there, a half hour to do the estimate and then a half hour to drive back. Minimum 1 to 1-1/2 hours for the estimate. Sometimes the half hour drive there of back can be split up with other estimates or jobs and sometimes it can't. During rush hour it can take me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to drive one way to estimate a job.

Then you have to factor in for the time spent giving estimates for the ones that you didn't get. Unless you get every job you estimate this time is all part of that one job you do get.

Then If I get the job I have to drive to the city offices and fill out their form for the permit.

WinZip

So here we are , we all know a hot tub can cost to wire 1200-3000 if done properly , then you give the customer the quote an they stand there an look at you like your from outer space , been there before an if they don't take my price I just say best of luck with who ever does the work.

N844AA

I like it when customers say "but that's more than my tub costs!" as if there's some law that dictates that installations can't cost more than the appliance itself.

Last year I gave a price to install a sub panel and wire a hot tub, customer became indignant and offended over the price. Decided I'd install the sub panel and they'd do the tub themselves. I installed the panel and watched in amazement as they scratched a little 4" deep trench 60 feet from the panel to the tub and laid 8-3 NM-B Romex in the trench and kicked dirt back over it. The connection at the tub was the typical wirenuts wrapped with electrical tape.

They would occasionally glance over at me with a smug, self satisfied look at how much money they were saving.

aline

I installed the panel and watched in amazement as they scratched a little 4" deep trench 60 feet from the panel to the tub and laid 8-3 NM-B Romex in the trench and kicked dirt back over it. They would occasionally glance over at me with a smug, self satisfied look at how much money they were saving.
I had a guy that didn't like my price for digging 25 feet of trench to the hot tub.

This was some very rocky soil (more rock than soil) and there was a tree right next to the trench so I had to dig under the roots.

He said he would dig the trench himself.
I said fine I'll be back tomorrow to install the wiring for the tub.

Show up the next day to find about 2ft of trench dug about 6 inches deep.
His wife said he changed his mind and decided that I could dig the trench. :)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Often times when I do estimates for these, the hot tub hasn't been delivered or they need the pad poured for it first, etc.

This means I make a trip out just for the estimate.
Prematurely. Next time, have them call you when the tub, or at least all of its documentation, is on site, then go.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I like it when customers say "but that's more than my tub costs!" as if there's some law that dictates that installations can't cost more than the appliance itself.
I had a similar response from a GC who hired me to install line-voltage outdoor lighting and receptacle circuits. When I gave him my price, he said "That's more than half of the price I gave the homeowner!"

Well, yeah! It's an electrical job. :roll: (We did the job, by the way. The homeowners loved us, but hated the GC.)

They would occasionally glance over at me with a smug, self satisfied look at how much money they were saving.
Which you lovingly returned when your work was inspected, and theirs was casually mentioned, I hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.