co/al devices for aluminum wired devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

Are CO/AL (non tamper) devices permissible to replace old (copper only) outlets? Homeowner is concerned for home inspector. I'm concerned to not get in deep if permit is required.

HR...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No-- the replacement must be TR and depending on the code cycle afci. I don't believe they make co/alr gfci or afci so you would need to pigtail using the ideal purple wirenuts or some other source of co/alr wirenut or connector

howardrichman

I had thought it was a national requirement, but the job is in New Jersey. I guess even though it may not need to have permit and be inspected, The devices still need to be TP.

Thanks for reply
HR....

howardrichman

AlumiConn connectors.

Thanks. That would be the best solution if the box will contain them, but w/a TR device; will cost the customer a bit per repair. most customers I deal with think there's a cheap fix and I can work for handyman wages. That's just dealing with residential repairs and a home inspector requests.

HR...

Ravenvalor

No-- the replacement must be TR and depending on the code cycle afci. I don't believe they make co/alr gfci or afci so you would need to pigtail using the ideal purple wirenuts or some other source of co/alr wirenut or connector

If you have to install AFCI in the small older style metal box along with a couple of co/al wirenuts you might run into trouble fitting all of that inside the box. You might be tempted to remove the clamps inside the box. If the circuit is protected by a fuse then you may have to replace the system with breakers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you have to install AFCI in the small older style metal box along with a couple of co/al wirenuts you might run into trouble fitting all of that inside the box. You might be tempted to remove the clamps inside the box. If the circuit is protected by a fuse then you may have to replace the system with breakers.

You just replace the box... The wirenuts are certainly easier then the alumicon devices

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I had thought it was a national requirement, but the job is in New Jersey. I guess even though it may not need to have permit and be inspected, The devices still need to be TP.

Thanks for reply
HR....

No you do not need a permit in NJ for this work. And it doesn't have to be AFCI.

user 100

If it is the old style bx cable. I would be hesitant to replace the box. The conductor insulation tends to fall off while handling.

Don't think that would be a concern for the op-afaik all of the old al nm has thermoplastic insulation (type t or tw) which tends to hold up just fine and stays pliable, except of course, right next to the device where the heat from a failing termination has cooked it.:p

Never seen aluminum conductors for mc or ac type cable either- could always be something "exotic" out there though.

I like the idea of replacing the boxes and doing alumiconns- more expensive for the customer and more work, but afaik alumiconns have proven pretty reliable vs the wirenut fix- fewer "what ifs."

Status
Not open for further replies.