nmc cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Has anyone seen NMC cable? It is referenced in 547. None of my suppliers know of it and I cannot find it on Southwire or Rome Cable websites.

Most NM I see is NMB. Anyone out there seen this?

cpal

Has anyone seen NMC cable? It is referenced in 547. None of my suppliers know of it and I cannot find it on Southwire or Rome Cable websites.

Most NM I see is NMB. Anyone out there seen this?

I'm pretty sure I saw the stuff once, but I'm pretty old. Most use FY in its place
:roll:

jmellc

Occupation
I got curious and called Southwire, Tech Support. The tech there had read of it too, but knew of no mfr producing it. It's apparently been on someone's drawing board enough to be recognized, but not enough demand for anyone to produce it. I guess it's another chicken and egg thing.

G0049

A quote from a U.L. website concerning Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cables, UL 719 "Type NMC cable is for use in dry, moist, damp, and corrosive locations, and Type NM cable is for use in normally dry locations. Both types carry the suffix letter "-B" to designate the use of conductors with 90?C insulation."

Might be handy stuff, if it actually exists.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are wiring a barn then it sounds like PVC or MC cable would be the way to go. Some have used EMT but I would check with the inspector before I did that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I got curious and called Southwire, Tech Support. The tech there had read of it too, but knew of no mfr producing it. It's apparently been on someone's drawing board enough to be recognized, but not enough demand for anyone to produce it. I guess it's another chicken and egg thing.

So much for Tech support :)
Take a look at this product sheet from Soutwire
http://www.southwire.com/products/CUUFB.htm

jmellc

Occupation
I'll have to look at that website. A lot of the nm sold now is marked NMB. Southwire's website only mentions NMB and specifies it for dry locations, not damp or wet. So the B alone does not necessarily mean anything apparently.

jmellc

Occupation
If you are wiring a barn then it sounds like PVC or MC cable would be the way to go. Some have used EMT but I would check with the inspector before I did that.
If I get the job, I'll do it with UF and PVC, PVC boxes, etc. I was just curious about the NMC cable, as I hadn't seen it around that I knew of. Strange how the codebook lists it but no one makes it. Maybe some mfr was working on it and got code officials to recognize it so the mfr would have a market for it later.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'll have to look at that website. A lot of the nm sold now is marked NMB. Southwire's website only mentions NMB and specifies it for dry locations, not damp or wet. So the B alone does not necessarily mean anything apparently.

The "B" means the conductore have 90C insulation.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why would you use UF cable in a PVC raceway? Anytime I see NM or UF installed in a raceway the first think is "handyman install".

Caesium

I saw NMC once... I was fixing plumbing on a hottub and it was wired to the house with NMC... I told him the electric wasn't to code but he didn't really care :( (Yes I do random PVC jobs some times)

jmellc

Occupation
Uf along top rails where out of reach and mostly out of sight. UF to panel, about 50 feet back. Sleeved in PVC to come down columns for receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.