Something seen in the field today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a LV transformer tucked in the back of a two gang box today. Is this a code violation? Also, the LV switch for the transformer is ganged with HV receptacle. Is this just a break from common practice or a code violation?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Saw a LV transformer tucked in the back of a two gang box today. Is this a code violation? Also, the LV switch for the transformer is ganged with HV receptacle. Is this just a break from common practice or a code violation?

I believe this is a violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was under the impression that there were LV wires in the box also. Maybe not. I have seen LV lights where the trany is under the canopy also.

esobocinski

I have a couple of low voltage halogen fixtures powered by a free-floating transformer that gets tucked into the wall box. UL listed from a quality manufacturer, so I'm assuming they're legal, but all low-voltage connections are factory-sealed and the transformer is really part of the fixture. If your transformer is factory-attached to the switch, then I assume something similar. If you're describing a standard switch-outlet combo strap with LV wiring to the switch, or any other field connection in the LV path, then I agree that it's a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.