PE Sample Question - Sizing a Branch Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray.one

5d1180de0ff4a043a26899cde18d5c48.jpg
c80f7225547a26abcd117f9e8fbcb93d.jpg

My question is the last step of solution. The answer they give is #10 AWG, but I think that I need to use the 60 degree C column because. the circuit is rated less than 100A. Table 310.15 shows #10AWG as 30 A. The answer should be #8AWG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwire

Staff member
Another test question with insufficient information. They really should have included the termination ratings.

But they are asking for the minimum and if the terminals and equipment are marked 75C we can size the circuit for that even when under 100 amps and remain in NEC compliance.

iwire

Staff member
I believe 110.14(C)(1)(a)(3) is the relevant code section

2011 NEC
110.14 Electrical Connections.

(C) Temperature Limitations.

(1) Equipment Provisions.

(a) Termination provisions of equipment for circuits
rated 100 amperes or less, or marked for 14 AWG through
1 AWG conductors, shall be used only for one of the following:

(3) Conductors with higher temperature ratings if the equipment
is listed and identified for use with such conductors.

Carultch

Another test question with insufficient information. They really should have included the termination ratings.

But they are asking for the minimum and if the terminals and equipment are marked 75C we can size the circuit for that even when under 100 amps and remain in NEC compliance.

I thought if it isn't given, then for 100A and less, you cannot assume that terminations are listed and marked otherwise for 75C.

As I understand it, for 100A and less, the default is that it is rated for 60C, albeit rare to find unmarked terminals in practice.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree the answer should be #8 not only because they didn't give the temperature ratings but you cannot use overcurrent protective device at the 90C rating. The 90C is used for de-rating. Thus you would need to be at #8

Carultch

I agree the answer should be #8 not only because they didn't give the temperature ratings but you cannot use overcurrent protective device at the 90C rating. The 90C is used for de-rating. Thus you would need to be at #8

So in an exam, when you have a question with given information that is focused on only one part of the sizing algorithm, but you know that other unmentioned parts of the sizing algorithm must also apply, does this mean that the correct answer should also have those other unmentioned parts applying as well?

Another example would be a question like "given a continuous 120V single phase load of 40 amps that is a 35 ft conduit run from the source, what size copper conductor is needed to limit voltage drop to not more than 3%?". If you calculate this out, you'll find the answer is #10. However, we also know that #10 wire is insufficient for this load in the first place, because #8 is what is required prior to considering voltage drop. This question leads you to focus on voltage drop, even though it is a red herring in this particular example.

Last edited:

gray.one

So, I'm not crazy. To get C, one must assume that the equipment is rated for 75 C terminations. However, if there is no rating we generally go to 60 C based on 110.14C

gray.one

So in an exam, when you have a question with given information that is focused on only one part of the sizing algorithm, but you know that other unmentioned parts of the sizing algorithm must also apply, does this mean that the correct answer should also have those other unmentioned parts applying as well?

Another example would be a question like "given a continuous 120V single phase load of 40 amps that is a 35 ft conduit run from the source, what size copper conductor is needed to limit voltage drop to not more than 3%?". If you calculate this out, you'll find the answer is #10. However, we also know that #10 wire is insufficient for this load in the first place, because #8 is what is required prior to considering voltage drop. This question leads you to focus on voltage drop, even though it is a red herring in this particular example.

I feel like a lot of these sample questions are either laughably easy or worded to trick to reader. Neither seem an appropriate way to determine the capability or understand to be a licensed engineer.

Carultch

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes the question states 90C wire but the temperature rating of the terminations have to come into play-- NO.....Otherwise what is the point of the question to answer it half way. I agree if we ignore termination then a 90C rated #10 wire is good for 40 amps but you cannot use it to supply power to these units

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Unless there is a statement in the question, or master statement for the whole exam indicating this assumption, requiring you to assume 75C terminations is incorrect per 110.14(C).

Yes but that is in the field where the terminals are not rated but not necessarily on exams or in classrooms. On many mike holt videos he states we assume 75C rated terminal unless it's given at 60C

jumper

Yes the question states 90C wire but the temperature rating of the terminations have to come into play-- NO.....Otherwise what is the point of the question to answer it half way. I agree if we ignore termination then a 90C rated #10 wire is good for 40 amps but you cannot use it to supply power to these units

Dennis, Chris and I are saying that one should answer the question asked, and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.