Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRI wiring

MRI wiring

Contractor is installing a new MRI in the local hospital. demo of existing MRI shows equipment wiring done in smurf tube. Manufaturer rep says that this is the way it is typically done. anyone have any experience with this, thanks.

I would call an MRI room in a hospital a patient care area.

517.13 would require the wiring methods used in the MRI room to be in a metal wiring method that itself qualifies as an EGC in accordance with 250.118.

Smurf tube would not work in a patient care area.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jdero View Post
    Contractor is installing a new MRI in the local hospital. demo of existing MRI shows equipment wiring done in smurf tube. Manufaturer rep says that this is the way it is typically done. anyone have any experience with this, thanks.
    Never seen ent in hospitals. I think the rep is nuts.
    "Appliances and wiring will burn out to protect fuses"

We normaly use EMT or alluminum in MRI's.

Roger

Just make sure that you dont have any iron or steel in your construction inside the MRI magnet's exclusion zone, the details of which will be in the MTI installation instructions, and may well be painted or signposted by the time you get there.

I can understand why smurf tube is used; its non-ferrous, and the copper wire inside is also non-ferrous, so no nasty magnetic accidents waiting to happen.

Have a google for what MRI magnets can grab; they are hellishly strong; theres a well reported fatality due to a patient being struck by a flying oxygen cylinder that got inside the exclusion zone...

I have done a couple and they all specked stainless steel fasteners, screws, and gutters

well the class 2 wiring can be done is in smurf tube ?
    thats at least 80% of the machine
    there machine has to be listed or have there own inspection so you need to do it like they say if I remember right

Quote Originally Posted by RETRAINDAILY View Post
    I have done a couple and they all specked stainless steel fasteners, screws, and gutters
    Makes sense - stainless steel is approximately non-magnetic, as long as you've got the right stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by dbuckley View Post
    Just make sure that you dont have any iron or steel in your construction inside the MRI magnet's exclusion zone, the details of which will be in the MTI installation instructions, and may well be painted or signposted by the time you get there.

I can understand why smurf tube is used; its non-ferrous, and the copper wire inside is also non-ferrous, so no nasty magnetic accidents waiting to happen.

Have a google for what MRI magnets can grab; they are hellishly strong; theres a well reported fatality due to a patient being struck by a flying oxygen cylinder that got inside the exclusion zone...
    That's all true, but it is also true that it is common to have EMT conduit and other metal items inside the room as long as they are securely fastened. If you think about it, I'll bet every receptacle has some steel in it.

The MRI vendor and techs. should be experts at what is allowed, although the smurf tube comment makes me wonder.

Here is an EMT install in one MRI we did awhile back. This is the only wood framed MRI I have been involved with, all others have been standard metal studs. Typically the envelopes are copper (as shown here) or alluminum, there are some that have sheet steel envelopes.

Roger
    Last edited by roger; 06-24-10 at 09:56 AM.