Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nyc fire alarm code

Nyc fire alarm code

Can anyone figure our this code i think i got it just checking if i am correct
    fco are no longer use.
    Fused disconnect painted red are used for primary power source
    either for main feed to fire command useing 250.66 for gec.
    For sub systems useing 250.122 for egc,

From what I remember (and I'm going back 25 years) you need a 3 pole fused disconnect L-N-L where the neutral is removable, usually a piece of copper tubing. The fuse box has to be within 10' of the main panel (one length of rigid conduit) and tapped ahead of the main breaker or disconnect. Basically, the only thing that shuts the power to the fire alarm panel is a power failure.

If I understand the code correctly, you are now supposed to use disconnect switches instead of fused cut outs for the fire alarm panel. I'm not sure if use FCO's for strobe panels.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download...NY_4000-06.pdf

The new grounding requires a #8 to the FCO and a #10 solid from the FCO to the fire alarm panel.BTW now you have to use a service rated fused disconnect in lieu of the FCO
    Last edited by mcelweec@gmail.com; 06-24-10 at 05:57 PM.
    cmac1

we just had 2 floors passed by fdny inspector for strobe panels in high rise using fused disconnects and filed under new code

nyc fire alarm

ok what size wire did you ground it with

4pole disconnect switch

Im currently installing a 100AS, 100AF, 4pole disconnect switch (3 phase and i'm using the 4th pole as a removable neutral) for a fire alarm in NYC. 4#2 wire with #6 ground to the service main bus. Engineer said i didnt have to go directly to the cold water main so thats a first for me.

I'm painting the switch red myself but i was wondering what wording i need to put on the switch. I was getting a sign made up that reads "Fire Alarm Fused Disconnect Switch". Any suggestions on the wording?

nyc fire alarm code

i would check article 250.66 on that ground thats a gec. that i say should go to water main .

In NY C, we use FCO for strobe panels(power supplies), and they are tapped ahead of the main disconnect for the panel. In other words, so when it trips it will not but off the FA system.

My two cents...

Patty D.
    Lady Engineer, P.E. (From NJ)

Codes NEC and RCNY

Thanks for the replies. I spoke with the engineer again and after reviewing article 250 in the NEC it was determined that a direct ground to the water main is not required if we are tapping the service ground bus that is directly connected to the water main with a gec.

Just an FYI on NYC RCNY code - they are requiring 4pole disconnect switches
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download...NY_4000-06.pdf
    section 760.41 - D.2

hope this helps for future projects.

thanks!