Emergency Lights in bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny1982

Are emergency lights required in bathrooms? In this case, the building is an activity center for girl scouts.

Thanks

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

luckylerado

Are emergency lights required in bathrooms? In this case, the building is an activity center for girl scouts.

Thanks

I do not believe that you will find a code specifically calling out bathrooms however the illumination requirements of the "Means of Egress" as defined by NFPA 101 and IBC do apply to the path of travel which will include the space inside the bathroom. I believe that 1 FC min is required but check NFPA 101 and 2012 IBC section 1006

mgookin

Are emergency lights required in bathrooms? ...

Thanks

The NEC does not prescribe when EM lights are required. Those requirements come from building & life safety codes, which are local.

Call your local fire marshal and ask.

We always required them in windowless restrooms, but we are not in Cali.

iwire

Staff member
The NEC does not prescribe when EM lights are required. Those requirements come from building & life safety codes, which are local.

Call your local fire marshal and ask.

We always required them in windowless restrooms, but we are not in Cali.

I wonder if they are following code or not?

Not required in most locations.

mgookin

I wonder if they are following code or not?

Not required in most locations.

I don't remember if we did that via local amendment or via an interpretation out of NFPA 101. The Fire Marshal's office would require it and the building department would do the permitting & inspections with the fire marshal inspecting their operation at time of final inspection and on annual inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.