What "tools" do you always have with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

I don't carry anything on me I don't feel I will need. This includes removing tools from my tool belt that I don't intend to use. I have done this work for enough years to realize that carrying extra weight wears you out over time.
This does not mean I won't bring things from truck inside to work area so they will be handy when or if needed, just if it will require little or no use why carry it around all the time?

I should add the apprentice I have working for me has a tool belt that at times probably weighs 25% of what he weighs. I am a lot heavier than him but that is too much to carry around all day.

I'm always amazed when I see guys roping a house, and they have a laser level, three concrete chisels, tinsnips, a pipe cutter, a pair of 460s, three files, two crescent wrenches, and a tone set in their pouch.

brian john

24X7 i have near me, 2 amp clamps a 24" flexible CT, 2 multimeters, megger, linemen's dikes, assorted screwdrivers, 1/2, 3/8, 7/16. 5/16 nut drivers and a battery drill with assorted tips.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I can tell by the replies that everyone else here wears dungarees. :D

Keys, wallet, phone, pocketknife if I remember. I can't imagine walking around with all that stuff in my pockets...?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
For every day, including when I am not working, I carry keys, wallet, loose cash and a knife. 90 percent of the time I also carry a good compact digital camera.

I use Canon cameras and my 2 compacts are the A590IS and the A1000IS.

Most people fail to realize that with a good compact (the good ones are not called point and shoots. My 590 has a full manual mode, including focus) it can be used as a copy machine, a powerful magnifying glass, a flash light, a video camera (I have a mini tripod that allows me to use my small cameras as forward looking video by placing the set up on the dash), a photo album and an audio recorder.

fondini

10-1,leatherman, tape, tic tracer, a couple wirenuts,and a Ruger LCP 380 with Crimson Trace laser sight. Oh yea an empty wallet with my drivers and Contractors license's

Article 90.1

What are trousers and dungarees? Just kidding, unfortunately, you don't hear the term dungarees much any more.

Now the only thing I always have on me is a tape measure. However, when I worked on traffic lighting jobs in Newark I was NEVER without my 9" Kleins for protection. And believe it or not you needed protection from the dogs and not the characters, that is when pit bulls were all the rage. One or more would come running around the corner while your body was half way sticking out of a handhole and you never knew if the dog(s) were going to stop or not.

We were never without our police officer either, but he was for controlling the characters.

rich000

I always have wallet, keys, iphone, and Swiss Army knife. I don't like to carry alot. Especially in the summer when it's shorts and flip flops.

rodneee

10-1,leatherman, tape, tic tracer, a couple wirenuts,and a Ruger LCP 380 with Crimson Trace laser sight. Oh yea an empty wallet with my drivers and Contractors license's

that crimson trace laser works great for installing under cabinet lights in a straight line.

mivey

When I reach the first customer: Kleins, knife, fingernail clippers, pencil, pad, multi-screwdriver, volt-tic, neon tester, mini-mag, shop rag, cell phone. Sometimes multi/clamp meter and/or screw gun with bit assortment.

What might wind up on the dresser at the end of the day: knife, fingernail clippers, pencil, pad, volt-tic, neon tester, mini-mag, cell phone, wirenuts, screws, bolts, nuts, tape, staples, misc connectors, other assorted goodies & baddies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A fine tool, and not so easy to come by these days. :) Could explain the empty wallet.

You guys want to see some guys that cart around a lot of stuff, check out some of the EDC (every day carry) sites and forums. I swear some of these guys claim to cart around 50 pounds of stuff all day.

I have a cell phone, a pen, small notebook, small knife, comb, wallet, hanky, and keyring with small flashlight. Thats it normally. if I am on a job site I might add my Leatherman and a multi-bit screwdriver, along with my laptop (or maybe in my laptop case).

Did you guys know they make a Leatherman just for electricians? I forget what model it is.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Every work day: 2 cell phones, flashlight, keys, knife, hanky, business card holder, comb, wallet, pen, photo ID badge, watch, and money, if my wife gives me any.

Status
Not open for further replies.