Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nec 314.28(a)(1)(2)(3)

Electrical Inspector

Jbox with 4" entry conduit containing (4) mult-conductor cables of 2AWG conductors, feeding four motors via (2) 2" conduits. Jbox is 20"W X 24"H. Art. 314.28(A)(1)(2) show the box as being too small to meet code. Another inspector suggests that using section (3) i.e. labeling the box with a permanent marking will solve the problem. I understand section (3) to mean that the boxes or conduit bodies are suppose to be factory labeled as opposed to labeled in the field.
    I'd like some clarification on this code section.

Nec 314.28(a)(1)(2)(3)

20"W X 24"H X 6"D box. 4" entry conduit w/4-3c #2AWG multi- conductor cables feeding out to four 40HP motors via 2" conduits. Box seems too small to satisfy this article. 4" conduit six times rule cannot be met regarding paragraph three of section (2). Is this correct or is there a different interpretation?

I don't see how this box could meet compliancy given the terms you stated.

Unless I made a mistake, if it's an angle pull and the conduits and box are properly orientated, you should be o.k.

4" x 6 = 24
    2" x 6 = 12 +2 +2 + 2 =18

straight pull = problem
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Unless I made a mistake, if it's an angle pull and the conduits and box are properly orientated, you should be o.k.

4" x 6 = 24

straight pull = problem
    Well maybe I am wrong again. The bold part has me confused.

Angle or U Pulls, or Splices. Where splices or where angle or U pulls are made, the distance between each raceway entry inside the box and the opposite wall of the box shall not be less than six times the metric designator (trade size) of the largest raceway in a row. This distance shall be increased for additional entries by the amount of the sum of the diameters of all other raceway entries in the same row on the same wall of the box. Each row shall be calculated individually, and the single row that provides the maximum distance shall be used.

I must apologize. I have read this article 4 times and I cannot make heads or tails of what they are getting at. Wish I had the handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I must apologize. I have read this article 4 times and I cannot make heads or tails of what they are getting at. Wish I had the handbook.

Yep, your sure missing out.
    The hand book has several nice illustrations on that topic. To late to bother getting the 08 . The 11 will be out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    ... The bold part has me confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
    Yep, your sure missing out.
    The hand book has several nice illustrations on that topic. To late to bother getting the 08 . The 11 will be out soon.
    But until then, you can trust Augie's quick demonstration.
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post

4" x 6 = 24

straight pull = problem
    On the second line, he calculates the first 2" raceway x 6 to equal 12".
    Then he is adding 2" for the second pipe, 2" for the third, and another 2" for the fourth.

Of course we don't know how the entries are actually run, but he showed that it is possible with this box.

Quote Originally Posted by bandylb18 View Post
    Jbox with 4" entry conduit containing (4) mult-conductor cables of 2AWG conductors, feeding four motors via (2) 2" conduits. Jbox is 20"W X 24"H. Art. 314.28(A)(1)(2) show the box as being too small to meet code. Another inspector suggests that using section (3) i.e. labeling the box with a permanent marking will solve the problem. I understand section (3) to mean that the boxes or conduit bodies are suppose to be factory labeled as opposed to labeled in the field.
    I'd like some clarification on this code section.
    Ther is nothing that requires a factory marking, since the box itslef could be homemade. But if I'm reading this correctly, Do you mean falsly mark the box with a number? I wouldn't agree to that, but if you're confident about your measurements, you could certainly mark the box with a SHarpie and meet code.

However, in YOUR PARTICULAR situation, (3) could only be used if the dimensions are LESS THAN thos required in (1) and (2).

Also, they need to derate according to 310.15 (b) (2) (a)
    It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Quote Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
    Ther is nothing that requires a factory marking, since the box itslef could be homemade. But if I'm reading this correctly, Do you mean falsly mark the box with a number? I wouldn't agree to that, but if you're confident about your measurements, you could certainly mark the box with a SHarpie and meet code.
    The marking required by 314.28(A)(3) must be applied by the manufacturer of the box or conduit body and is part of the listing. It cannot be made up in the field.
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin