Disconnect means for cooktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

There is not one switch on a cooktop that disconects all ungrounded conductors. Cooktop must have a disconect or lockout on the breaker.

Agreed that most switches don't. Thats why I said "May be considered"

So I assume that's a yes to my question, provided that it disconnects all ungrounded conductors.

Sounds like 422.34 in most cases does not apply (because it does not disconnect all ungrounded) and the locking device is required (or visible).
I just know the locking cb rule is not enforced around here.

Bobhook149

whats wrong with a 60 amp pull out disconnect under the cabinet same as for a water heater. If you cant see it you take the pull out with you.

Nothing wrong with it, just never seen it done that way. Most of the time i see them hard wired no disconnect so i was just posing the question. i like the cord plug doesn't seem like a bad idea as long as it is listed :D

Jim W in Tampa

The means of disconnect is so you can service all parts in that cook top. How will you replace the switch ?

Why make an easy job hard ? Breaker lock takes 5 seconds to install and cheap.
Inspector might not care if you do put it on cause he knows it will never be used. Simply put he puts himself in bad situation by not forcing you.

electricmanscott

Full disclosure. I have never installed any type of disconnect for either a cooktop or an oven. This is for well over 1000 kitchen projects. I also have never had an inspector ask for one.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Full disclosure. I have never installed any type of disconnect for either a cooktop or an oven. This is for well over 1000 kitchen projects. I also have never had an inspector ask for one.[/quote]

until he read this thread :grin:

220/221

Have not had one single inspector enforce this yet, Georgia, Tennesee, and North Carolina

Add AZ to that list.

Probably a local and logical exception to the NEC. I mean, how often do you service your cooktop or oven? Not enough to warrant a disco IMO

Jim W in Tampa

Add AZ to that list.

Probably a local and logical exception to the NEC. I mean, how often do you service your cooktop or oven? Not enough to warrant a disco IMO

They all had a disconnect (breaker) only issue is if the inspector pushed for the lockout. All the ones i dealt with been wanting them for over last 10 years. Inspectors need to be far more carefull in todays sue happy world. If an appliance man get hurt or killed they will notice fast that it no breaker lock. Would they have used it ???? nope.
30 years ago it was easy to wire a house. We had no gfci, arc faults, smoke detectors and far less codes to follow. We are safer now. Colored romex has likely saved a few fires. When it is cold # 14 feels like #12

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When I rented a house about 8 years ago, there was an electric range/oven installed, and we had our own gas range. So we made arrangements with the owner to have an electrician remove the electric unit, and provide a standard 120 duplex for our unit (it needs that for the electric oven light and the igniters). The electrician removed the existing 240 volt outlet, and used one half of the circuit for the new 120 volt outlet. So I would say that it is not unusual for an electric range/oven to have a plug and cord connection, and to count that as the required disconnecting means.

Cavie

When I rented a house about 8 years ago, there was an electric range/oven installed, and we had our own gas range. So we made arrangements with the owner to have an electrician remove the electric unit, and provide a standard 120 duplex for our unit (it needs that for the electric oven light and the igniters). The electrician removed the existing 240 volt outlet, and used one half of the circuit for the new 120 volt outlet. So I would say that it is not unusual for an electric range/oven to have a plug and cord connection, and to count that as the required disconnecting means.

Cord and plug on electric range is very much the common and accepted method of disconect 99.9% of the time. A cooktop comes with a 3' flexible wip attached. No plug.

Cavie

Add AZ to that list.

Probably a local and logical exception to the NEC. I mean, how often do you service your cook top or oven? Not enough to warrant a disco IMO

Ok, IYO, How often must something be worked on before you conceder it a safety issue??:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.