Power factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dear Friends ,
I have small note receive from consultant : PF should be within 85-90% for large motors & 92-98% for small motors ?

As per above mention information it is understood the PF for large motors 85-90% or more possible where as for smaller motors 92-98% i dont think so , please can any one explain in detail about this , Will be highly appreciated .

Regards
Sam

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
pf is a rather big topic to try and generalize it.
but here are some great resources

Ingenieur

I think what he is saying that it is possible to meet the spec for larger motors it may not be possible for smaller ones.

should be broken down better
3 phase <=10 small
3 phase >10 large
or similar

kwired

Electron manager
Dear Friends ,
I have small note receive from consultant : PF should be within 85-90% for large motors & 92-98% for small motors ?

As per above mention information it is understood the PF for large motors 85-90% or more possible where as for smaller motors 92-98% i dont think so , please can any one explain in detail about this , Will be highly appreciated .

Regards
Sam
That may be a specification for selection of the motors, or a design specification saying that if the motor doesn't already meet that specification that you need to supplement with proper correction to achieve that specification.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That may be a specification for selection of the motors, or a design specification saying that if the motor doesn't already meet that specification that you need to supplement with proper correction to achieve that specification.
I agree on the specification angle, it might be a way to indirectly call for more energy efficient motors without using that term, because that term actually has no official definition and motor mfrs play semantics games quite a bit.

But most PoCos will want you to correct to .95 or better, not .85 - .90, especially on the biggest offenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.