double pole 15/20 amp breaker for multiwire branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I have a number of multiwire branch circuits that are 15 and 20 amp circuits sharing a number 12 neutral. Does Siemens make a 15/20 double pole breaker?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't have your answer. But I will say that as long as the 20 amp breaker is connected to a #12 wire, it is acceptable for the shared neutral to be #12. Indeed, if the 15 amp breaker is connected to a #12 wire, then the shared neutral would have to be #12.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
12-12-14

12-12-14

I don't have your answer. But I will say that as long as the 20 amp breaker is connected to a #12 wire, it is acceptable for the shared neutral to be #12. Indeed, if the 15 amp breaker is connected to a #12 wire, then the shared neutral would have to be #12.

The conductors are: Neutral #12 hot #12 hot #14

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Greg, Rob's question isn't a rhetorical device:

Can you put a handle tie on two SP breakers?

The Code is that the multiwire branch circuit needs a common disconnecting means, not common trip overcurrent protection. So, are the circuit breakers a make and model that you can find a "handle tie" for? See 240.15(B)(1)

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
dp breaker

dp breaker

I have a number of multiwire branch circuits that are 15 and 20 amp circuits sharing a number 12 neutral. Does Siemens make a 15/20 double pole breaker?

yes and that would be a twin,no such animal,handles would have to be tied together!!!!

kwired

Electron manager
QO tandems do come in 15/20 on same device, unfortunately they are supplied by same ungrounded conductor so no MWBC going to be fed from them.

Never seen a two pole common trip with different setting for each pole from any manufacturer. They could probably make you one but it likely will be too expensive to be worth it. Even if someone does have one they are probably not stocked in distribution centers or at the supply houses, and would still be special order.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
yes and that would be a twin,no such animal,handles would have to be tied together!!!!

Greg, Rob's question isn't a rhetorical device:

The Code is that the multiwire branch circuit needs a common disconnecting means, not common trip overcurrent protection. So, are the circuit breakers a make and model that you can find a "handle tie" for? See 240.15(B)(1)

No need for a special breaker, just a handle tie will work.

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
dp breaker

dp breaker

i think maybe your looking for a quad,where the 2 inside handles, and 2 outside handles are tied together???

kwired

Electron manager
With the quads the two inside units are same rating and two outside are same rating giving you same issues you have with regular two pole breakers, the handle ties do not cross over to to the other sub units. They also AFAIK should have a common trip mechanism somehow incorporated into each sub unit, which if you somehow did change the handle ties could possibly result in the tripping of one causing opening of all four.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I read the OP as asking for a 2 pole breaker not a tandem or quad. rippledipple is the poster than brought up tandem/quads. As others stated you can easily handle tie a 15 and 20 amp single pole breakers together. I have done it a number of times in the past.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
As others stated you can easily handle tie a 15 and 20 amp single pole breakers together. I have done it a number of times in the past.
Yes. Exactly. A handle tie of two single pole breakers (a 15 A and a 20 A) is the simplest method, hands down.

One only has to have a common disconnect for the overcurrent protective devices at the supply of a multiwire branch circuit.

A common trip overcurrent protective device is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.