Wire ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Guns

Good Morning everybody

My question has to do with auxilary gutters, wireways, or trougths. can you run a conduit through anyone of the above without stopping it and continuing it through, basically running the conduit straight through.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Imagine if you could how difficult it would be to get at wires that are under the conduit. I have not found a code reference but it appears you want to transverse the raceways with conduit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have seen this done a few times. Someone even posted a photo here a while back. Not sure what code section it would violate. I have also seen something similar with conduits run through pull boxes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have seen this done a few times. Someone even posted a photo here a while back. Not sure what code section it would violate. I have also seen something similar with conduits run through pull boxes.

The one that always comes to mind is 110.3(B)

RUWired

I think the only problem is article 300.10 if the conduit is ran straight through the wireway (notching) without a connector. I think putting an internal conduit or greenfield inside the wireway connected to the incoming outgoing conduit is ok but not just notching it out.

Rick

Big Guns

wire ways

wire ways

Ok Rick

Say you install it according to article 300.10 and you have wires passing infront or behind conduit, do you make adjustments for cubic capacity or box fill by including conduit. Now since conduit is passed through do you still have to size trougth up according to article 314.28. 8 times the size of the largest conduit etc.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Part 2, and a thought from the UL police... wouldn't the UL listing be violated?

RUWired

I would adjust for cu" capacity if the conduit/s were sizable or the wire fill was close to max. If its a 3/4" conduit running through, i doubt it would impact the fill, but if you have 2 4" conduits, it would matter.
I don't think 314.28 would apply to wireways with conduits passing straight through because the raceway will have to be intact prior to pulling in the circuit.(300.18)

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.