I need your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotConductor

What type of electrical work would require a company to be licensed? I know companies don't take tests, that only individuals are licensed.

I'm not looking for answers like "It depends what city, township or municipality you're working in." This is serious. I have a friend who worked for a company and he was the only licensed electrician working there. They let him go because he was the highest paid and now they are doing work with his license.

IMO, if you are doing anything other than changing a light bulb at a customer's property, then you should be licensed.

I'm looking for logical arguments from both sides of the spectrum. Thanks.

Jljohnson

What type of electrical work would require a company to be licensed? They let him go because he was the highest paid and now they are doing work with his license

If they have let him go and are still using his license he is either the most forgiving person I have ever heard of or just doesn't know any better. He needs to pull his license from the respective state and local building departments immmediatley. Unfortunately, the rules are different from state to state on who is required to carry a license so answering your question is directly is a bit difficult without knowing where you are located.

Last edited:

marti smith

If there is any mishap ever then the responsibility will fall back on him, and then the outcomes could be severe. If he is not involved with the company then personally, I would revoke the use of the license. It would prove smart to look into the legalities.

Cavie

What type of electrical work would require a company to be licensed? I know companies don't take tests, that only individuals are licensed.

I'm not looking for answers like "It depends what city, township or municipality you're working in." This is serious. I have a friend who worked for a company and he was the only licensed electrician working there. They let him go because he was the highest paid and now they are doing work with his license.

IMO, if you are doing anything other than changing a light bulb at a customer's property, then you should be licensed.

He is breaking the law by letting them use his license. He needs to sever all ties with them at the buildiong dept and the state level. He is responsible for evereything thay do permit or not. He is quilifying them to be in business.

Last edited:

jumper

The company would have to quit doing all electrical work in VA. I copied the following from here: http://www.contractors-license.org/va/Virginia.html

To get a license you must specify a full-time employee or manager from your company to be a "qualified individual" for each trade you want to have on your license. Each person you pick must have the following experience, depending on the class of license you're applying for:

Type of license Years of experience required
Class A license 5
Class B license 3
Class C certificate 2

To get a Class A or Class B license your company's qualified individual must pass an exam.

For electrical, plumbing, HVAC, gas fitting, liquefied petroleum gas fitting and natural gas fitting the qualified individual of the company also has to get a tradesman license.

mcclary's electrical

The company would have to quit doing all electrical work in VA. I copied the following from here: http://www.contractors-license.org/va/Virginia.html

To get a license you must specify a full-time employee or manager from your company to be a "qualified individual" for each trade you want to have on your license. Each person you pick must have the following experience, depending on the class of license you're applying for:

Class A license 5
Class B license 3
Class C certificate 2

To get a Class A or Class B license your company's qualified individual must pass an exam.

For electrical, plumbing, HVAC, gas fitting, liquefied petroleum gas fitting and natural gas fitting the qualified individual of the company also has to get a tradesman license.

or hire another qualified individual that already has a license. He needs to be removed from their listed "qualifier"

cadpoint

Hold on people the man's in PA, last I heard there is no state license requirements.
One's own individual State requirements (out of state in respects to PA) would not apply in this case, IMO.

I also recall there are various City/ County / Township requirements for testing and licensing that need to be met,
and a license to do work, and inspection (hopefully) is required.

The OP needs the research the individual civil status or laws and the seek the authorities where required,
as to the limits and the type of work and the individual applications of being an "electrician" in their proper. (#6)

The OP could also research some business law practices of the Commonwealth of PA,
in respects to other matters raised as responses of having a license, or conducting business in PA!

220/221

What type of electrical work would require a company to be licensed? .

Here, any business must be licenced. There are licences that will allow a business to do some electrical work.

I know companies don't take tests, that only individuals are licensed

In AZ, only the contractor is licenced. There must be one "qualfying partner" who has passed a relatively simple exam.

I'm not looking for answers like "It depends what city, township or municipality you're working in."

Well...that's the logical answer.

Also, in AZ Any individual can do electrical work up to $750 (i think) under a "handyman clause"

mcclary's electrical

Here, any business must be licenced. There are licences that will allow a business to do some electrical work.

In AZ, only the contractor is licenced. There must be one "qualfying partner" who has passed a relatively simple exam.

Well...that's the logical answer.

Also, in AZ Any individual can do electrical work up to $750 (i think) under a "handyman clause"

This is a shame,,,and needs to be changed.

rodneee

it DOES depend on what city, township etc etc

it DOES depend on what city, township etc etc

i know you said you don't want answers like "it depends what city, township etc etc" but that is exactly the case in PA....there is no statewide controlling and or governing body. our firm is licensed in no less than 60 townships and of those sixty maybe 3 or 4 required some type of test....in most cases the licensing procedure is a glorified registration process where you pay a fee and provide proof of insurance.....and more and more there no longer township electrical inspectors....the EC hires and pays (not quite a bribe, but close) his own inspection agency and the inspector does his job...the inspector's role is more of an advisor/consultant than that of an inspector....and your friend has no worries as his boss did nothing wrong except forget to change his name to somebody else on the registration....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Class A license 5
Class B license 3
Class C certificate 2
You're talking about the company/corporation contracting license, which only business entities, and not individuals, may become.

The Class determines maximum dollars-per job (and no breaking a larger contract up) and dollars-per-year of gross receipts.

There are other differences. A Class A contractor must have a rather hefty personal-asset base for business liabilities; we're Class B.

I don't think even Class C contractors can do specialty trades you mentioned without a licensed qualified tradesman.

jumper

Larry,
I was trying to list the necessary requirements for the "qualifier", for example a Class A contractor needs a licensed tradesman with 5 years experience.

The qualifier for Class A and B has to take an additional contractors exam. There is no exam for a Class C contractor, but yes he does have to have a tradesmen license and 2 years experience.

I know you already know this, I am just trying to clarify what I originally posted.

Somewhere I thought I saw that the qualifier had to be of Masters status for Class A and B, but I could not find that info on DPOR site. Do you know?

mcclary's electrical

Larry,
I was trying to list the necessary requirements for the "qualifier", for example a Class A contractor needs a licensed tradesman with 5 years experience.

The qualifier for Class A and B has to take an additional contractors exam. There is no exam for a Class C contractor, but yes he does have to have a tradesmen license and 2 years experience.

I know you already know this, I am just trying to clarify what I originally posted.

Somewhere I thought I saw that the qualifier had to be of Masters status for Class A and B, but I could not find that info on DPOR site. Do you know?

As far as I know, that is true. A JW can't pull permits

Status
Not open for further replies.