All wires the same color! Dang painters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

10fords

Went to start trimming out a house I rough wired about 6 months ago and was not happy with what I saw:happysad: The painters had sprayed ALL my boxes and recessed lights full of paint, and I mean full, not just a little overspray! Of course this has happened to me before, but never on this level. Anyone know what NEC code this falls under (if any)? As far as I know if it is in the box it has to have a UL listing, and I have never seen a UL listed paint. I want to do a little homework before I present my grievences to the homeowners and the painting contractor. Thanks for any advice- Scott

peter d

There have been literally tens of millions of tract homes built over the decades that have had all the wiring in the boxes covered with sprayed paint. It's definitely not an issue I would worry about, and neither should you. :thumbsup:

10fords

There have been literally tens of millions of tract homes built over the decades that have had all the wiring in the boxes covered with sprayed paint. It's definitely not an issue I would worry about, and neither should you. :thumbsup:

I'm not worried, just annoyed. It is going to take a lot of extra time to clean the grounds and figure out what goes where etc. Before the painters started I asked them to make sure to cover my boxes and I offered to do it myself, but they assured me they would do it. The recessed lights have no visible markings anymore (IC rating, allowable trims and bulbs etc) and the sockets will never make proper contact. I think they did it as a big FU to me for daring to tell them not to paint my work. Also this is a 3 million dollar custom home, not a tract house.

growler

The recessed lights have no visible markings anymore (IC rating, allowable trims and bulbs etc) and the sockets will never make proper contact.

Those sockets for the recessed cans should have a little plastic cover. If those were not on the sockets then you could have a real problem it would be a real pain to have to try and clean up a bunch of those . Could be easier just to replace them.

JFletcher

always tape boxes yourself. a helper with 2 rolls of tape and an hour or two would have saved you a lot of trouble now. as for cleaning the wires/cans, try Goof-off; I think they make a water-soluble version.

as for cleaning the grounding wires, i run them back and forth a few times thru the wire strippers; works great for removing paint, oxidation, and corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.